ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of marvins do u run for the sand/dirt tracks ?? comps ???or hill shooters ?? or is there another

·
Registered
507 Posts
if your going to be running a groomed track that doesnt get whooped out run comps. If your going to be hillshooting and riding where it gets whooped hillshooters

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a comp for the rear.. i havent rode on it yet...... ill prob get some front marvins later... i ll be runnin on sand bars and sand/dirt tracks

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
What kind of oil weight should be put in there then, i got some nitrogen and wouldn't mind making them a little smoother.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The comp rears come with 20w50 synthetic motor oil, so you can just start lightening up from there. You can tell what they like as the rebound starts to quicken up with less pressure. If I remember right we ended up putting rydefx shock oil in Nates. The rears usually start off with 110cc's of oil, and we found that they worked better with less than that as well. The fronts come with 90cc's of atf which usually works out pretty good as it is a much lighter viscosity.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how do u like to set up ur front shaws... pretty stiff ?

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
for the track we run shaws on the front and strut on the rear rico. greater consistantsy and if running the bar the front shaws make for a smoother transistion back off the bar.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have the hillshooters in the front and rear. the fronts are stiff as hell i can get my foot on the little bar in the front of the frame and jump on it and it barely moves. Now the rear is a different story i need to get some more pressure in it cause it's way to soft. The frame will probably hit the ground when i launch with the way it is now.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i thought u got the comps,cody ?

i have a rear comp and gettin a set of front shaws..

im goin to run a track and dunes.. so i guess i ll have to find a happy meadium..

·
Registered
197 Posts
well, ive never had a set.
but i always heard they were kind of stiff. are they more for the track. i heard for duning and not so serious drags, run a good shock like elka's .

my cubs a pretty much dune bike. pretty much a play bike. dont have time to really race alot. i travel alot and do construction.
but id like to set it up diff..

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Stick with Elkas or Works, etc. for Duning.

If you pretty much dragged flat ground, (or hill raced) where jumping was really not an option, I'd say go with Marvins...

Comp series get a bad name because they come with thick oil and stiff valving from the factory.
With a lighter oil, less/more nitrogen and a different shim/valve stack, they can actually be a pretty good shock.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what do u have dave ? u have comps... i rode my bike just alittle, but the comp doesnt bother me.
i figured it would fell like a strut, when i sit on the bike it stiffens up. but i cant really notice it when i ride it.

but, i also bought the rear used, so im not sure how it was set up .

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love my comps for flats / hillshooting. I just sold my fronts so I could get some shorter ones to lower the bike. I am actually pretty good friends with the owners son. Nice family and great customer support.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts