ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out as a stock Dunlop tire. Im too cheap to just buy a set. Figured I've give this a shot....if it works, good, if not Ive only lost a couple hours time. I was suprised that it dropped more weight then I though. One scale says it lost 3 pounts the other says 4 pounds.

FINALLY got around to finishing this...almost...getting them mounted on wheels tomorrow. Figured no better place to test them then Little Sahara.

Showing one have buffed, other half just snipped.

I made a messs...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its pretty even. Basically just cut the knobbies, and grinded the knobbies down level with the carcass then just buffed the whole carcass to give it a uniformed look.

It was basically just rubber dust so it whipped right off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What did you use to snip the lugs off? And what grit paper did you use on the grinder?

·
Registered
188 Posts
QUOTE (KX500Zuki @ May 12 2009, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=42339What did you use to snip the lugs off? And what grit paper did you use on the grinder?
i have the same questions as him^ i have an old set of worn out tires that i would love to try this on. look really good. i had thought about trying this several times just never did cause i didnt thin it would work good. but yours look good to me so i wanna go for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I honestly have no clue what grit the disk are. To be honest everything I used was completely unconventional and not intended for this. To cut the knobbies I used a set of hoof snips that we use on cattle like this....

And you can see the grinder and disk I used on the ground in this pic. The grinder is just a regular Makita.

And the disk are metal disk used to trim hooves on cattle. The medium grit.

link to disk

·
Registered
793 Posts
i tryed this after he did and i barely have any done. but i tried using a grinder with a metal disk on it and all it does is melt the rubber. i am going to try som tougher grit sand paper next and see what it does.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (jtraptor660 @ May 14 2009, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=42542i tryed this after he did and i barely have any done. but i tried using a grinder with a metal disk on it and all it does is melt the rubber. i am going to try som tougher grit sand paper next and see what it does.

What grit did you try? I am thinking about trying this, maybe with 36 grit?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (jtraptor660 @ May 14 2009, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=42542i tryed this after he did and i barely have any done. but i tried using a grinder with a metal disk on it and all it does is melt the rubber. i am going to try som tougher grit sand paper next and see what it does.

Maybe it's a different compound of rubber? When I did it I had a whole tire buffed in about 45 minutes at most.

·
Registered
396 Posts
to make it easier to cut the nobbies off- find a dirt tracker (race cars) and see if they have a tire groover- basicly it is a hot iron that melts the nobs off, then you would have easier time buffing the wheels-
But this looks like to much work for me-----LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.