ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts
nothin against anyone that runs lectrons but my god i hate these freakin carbs!..lol..i have tried all year long to get them right and ran me ragged,i took em off and installed 41mm mukunis and the bike bout ripped me off of it!..no chit..its cost me well over 1k tryin to find the gremlin and it ended up being the carbs so if you have good luck with em congrats but my azz will NEVER own another set as long as i live..lol..and i aint no cherry when it comes to workin on these junkers ive done it for a few years now and can tune pwks,mukuni pretty simple!..jmo on this..

update!..cant blame only the carbs my bike had a major air leak..key way on crank but got that fixed but wanted to let everyone know it was not just the carbs...

could someone help me to figure out why when i go to lean my needles, they dont change in length?? i push the rod in and turn it, let it back out and measure them agian, and still the same. GRRR!!! do i push the rod in until it bottoms out...and then turn. or do i push it in about half way and turn. i would normally experiment with this, but im still kinda new to these Lectrons and didnt get much tuning time last year to mess with it more.

thanx for any help.

Scotty....

Do NOT push the rod into the slide. Take a pair of needle nose and turn them. Shorter length is richer, and vice versa...just like a clip.

Now...when you have them at the length you want, THEN you push them up and twist them until the flat side of the needle is facing the intake side.

The top of the needles (what you don't see) is a fine, fine thread. There is a mechanism inside that is spring loaded to allow you to make sure the flat side is facing the intake....they MUST be facing the intakes.

I usually get my needles to within +/- .05 to .1mm of each other...you will probably never get them both 100% exact.

thanx Dave.

you've been a big help with this alky stuff buddy.

Scotty....

Do NOT push the rod into the slide. Take a pair of needle nose and turn them. Shorter length is richer, and vice versa...just like a clip.

Now...when you have them at the length you want, THEN you push them up and twist them until the flat side of the needle is facing the intake side.

The top of the needles (what you don't see) is a fine, fine thread. There is a mechanism inside that is spring loaded to allow you to make sure the flat side is facing the intake....they MUST be facing the intakes.

I usually get my needles to within +/- .05 to .1mm of each other...you will probably never get them both 100% exact.
What are you useing to measure the length of the metering rods?

Harbor Freight Digital Calipers (I am not a machinist, a 30 dollar set of calipers works just fine...
)

The easiest way I've found is put number 1 on the brass/insert of the slide and push down on the caliper until the tip of the needle hits number 2. Measure.

Ok I have that tool, i am in the middle of doing this now. I called packerd just to get some advice today. Like others have said 48.5 nuetral, then 1 full turn rich. I just wanna make sure I do this correctly.

These are pics from Tim @ Titan, what he does to the slides. I'm doing this to mine over the weekend as well.

Said he uses a #38 or .101 drill bit for the holes.

one question. i got a 48hv and i could swear it already had the holes drilled in the slide when i got it. supposedly the carb was brandnew and never used (couldnt see any signs of wear marks so i figured it was new). do you think packard or lectron drilled them ?

Should i even bother, i mean my slides werent sticking on me, i just figured make it smooth.

I sanded mine w/ fine steel wool then polished them...and that lasted about a day.

Aluminum with oil and fuel running through it won't stay polished.

No need to sand IMO.

one question. i got a 48hv and i could swear it already had the holes drilled in the slide when i got it. supposedly the carb was brandnew and never used (couldnt see any signs of wear marks so i figured it was new). do you think packard or lectron drilled them ?

Take a picture. Normally a carb that big is for a large single or a 4 stroke....I've only seen the smaller Lectrons (36 to 40) and I've yet to see this done from the factory.

Lectron has two distributors. Packard and Fast by Gast....

Both racing companies....but Packard does what we do, FBG is more the motorcycle/pavement crowd.

I sanded mine w/ fine steel wool then polished them...and that lasted about a day.

Aluminum with oil and fuel running through it won't stay polished.

No need to sand IMO.

Take a picture. Normally a carb that big is for a large single or a 4 stroke....I've only seen the smaller Lectrons (36 to 40) and I've yet to see this done from the factory.

Lectron has two distributors. Packard and Fast by Gast....

Both racing companies....but Packard does what we do, FBG is more the motorcycle/pavement crowd.

came from packard. not sure if he did the holes or maybe lectron

Does 1 washer not seal it very well Dave ?

I thought the extra washers was to decrease the distance between the tang & the tip of the needle so one didn't have to use such a harsh tang angle ?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.