ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys. i have a lightened stock frame banshee with a 4 mil stock cylinder no override currently running 36mm carbs. there arent any real tracks out here in cali where i live so i dont have times but we have some semi organized races at different peoples places on dirt. my bike runs really good for what it is i have kept up with a 4 mil triple ported shee with an override and a unknown size ESR big bore stroker R override that weighed just over 200 lbs. so im pretty happy with the bike but i want more because there are a couple guys with some big bore stroked 4 strokes that are getting better traction than my 2 stroke on the packed dirt. we are racing next sunday and i need some advice on what little things or tips you guys have to get just a little more out of the bike. as far as my knowledge goes i have htis thing tuned as good as i can get it. any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Kawiking @ Mar 3 2009, 07:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33063what kind of suspention are u runnin ? port work ? alky or gas ? what tires are u runnin ?
im running floats and i went from a +10 to a +6 swinger for better traction already. up front i have some chromoly drag arms out back i have a drilled narrowed drag axle. ive tried a few tires and now run maxxis 4snows and they are they best ive used. the port work was done by an older guy that used to do the motor work on our outlaw sprint car so hes not a big name but he has been around motors his whole life and hes good. i run 110 race gas

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Kawiking @ Mar 3 2009, 07:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33073is it hookin hard ? if its smooth were u ride... might try a strut or a marvin ?
no its not hookin tooo good and i think that is some of the problem but i dont know what else i can do cause like i said those 4snows are the best ive tried for this dirt. i have thought about a strut but i wasnt sure because the track is smooth but it isnt perfectly smooth so would i bounce and lose more than i gain or will a little imperfection in the track not hurt. hes not letting us do a whole lot of test and tune this time so im almost afraid to try it lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (chvy91bowtie @ Mar 3 2009, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33076no its not hookin tooo good and i think that is some of the problem but i dont know what else i can do cause like i said those 4snows are the best ive tried for this dirt. i have thought about a strut but i wasnt sure because the track is smooth but it isnt perfectly smooth so would i bounce and lose more than i gain or will a little imperfection in the track not hurt. hes not letting us do a whole lot of test and tune this time so im almost afraid to try it lol
Tighten up the rear shock what I mean is make it stiffer so the rear tires dont cavitate and drop the tire pressure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you want more power and your in California theres only one guy to call......Nate McCoy...his number is in my sig.

I have also heard of people running studs on dirt tracks...give that a [censored] if you have a set of tires to burn in case it doesnt work.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Dave I. @ Mar 3 2009, 10:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33088If you want more power and your in California theres only one guy to call......Nate McCoy...his number is in my sig.

I have also heard of people running studs on dirt tracks...give that a [censored] if you have a set of tires to burn in case it doesnt work.
yeah i was thnking bout trying studs. as far as the porting goes this guy is really good and i trust his work the motor isnt actually drag ported yet is more of a torquey port job he told me to gear it for more top end for now and he will port it for more top end when i need a bore. he has a lot of knowledge his dad was actually the first guy to really understand how the 2 stroke worked and how to get more power out of them in this area and this was back in the late 50s when they raced go carts. so he really knows what hes doing (not to knock anyone elses work) which is why i am pretty sure what i need is some other little tips for how to get more i had wondered about suspension setup and i think thats where ill go next. anyone else have advice on struts? im gonna put one together tomorrow. with a strut setup how does the ride height need to be setup? should it be about stock height or lower or will it matter since the strut will be solid?

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
With a +6 on dirt the one thing I'd do is ratchet strap the rear down about 4" so it'll hook or make a strut or use a lowering link. I would probably use a shorter swingarm like a +2 or +4 and get the bike low, low, low.
IMO your engine guy may be a great car guy but unless he's a 2 stroke builder is not gonna get the real power out of it. It's all about angles,port shape,port timing, dome, pipe timing etc. Those are not magic things but they are not going to be stuff he will know if he's a 4 stroke or car engine builder at all. Honestly a car builder would probably get just a few hp out of it, but theres 20 hp more you could have with porting, timing, and domes etc.
I'd work on traction first.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Radar @ Mar 4 2009, 01:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33095With a +6 on dirt the one thing I'd do is ratchet strap the rear down about 4" so it'll hook or make a strut or use a lowering link. I would probably use a shorter swingarm like a +2 or +4 and get the bike low, low, low.
IMO your engine guy may be a great car guy but unless he's a 2 stroke builder is not gonna get the real power out of it. It's all about angles,port shape,port timing, dome, pipe timing etc. Those are not magic things but they are not going to be stuff he will know if he's a 4 stroke or car engine builder at all. Honestly a car builder would probably get just a few hp out of it, but theres 20 hp more you could have with porting, timing, and domes etc.
I'd work on traction first.
no this guy is not just a 4 stroke guy he is very very educated in 2 stroke motors like i said his dad was one of the first that understood them the flow of them the dome shapes port timing all that stuff. he custom cut my domes and the port timing all that stuff. this guy is not a four stroke guy or atwo stroke guy hes an engine builder in general and has been around this stuff his entire life and i belive he is in his mid 60s so he knows his stuff. the motor runs really good like i said it runs with bikes i wouldnt expect it to run with in sand with paddles but when it comes to dirt racing im spinning more than the 4 strokes. these 4 strokes are pretty built too. last time we raced the guy that was running with me was a 5?? big bore stroker yfz on alky, dragpipe lockup etc so no slow bike. thats why im asking for advice on how i can get just a bit more. im gonna build a strut and try to come up with a good looking adjustable design or maybe just a couple different lengths of struts. ill let you guys know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
are leaving in 2nd gear? what gearing are you running? how far are you racing? with a strut you want the swing arm pretty close to level with the ground.... try slippin the clutch alittle on take off instead of just dumping it.... this will give the tires a fighting chance to hook...
how much air do ya have in the tires?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (badassbanshee479 @ Mar 4 2009, 09:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33129are leaving in 2nd gear? what gearing are you running? how far are you racing? with a strut you want the swing arm pretty close to level with the ground.... try slippin the clutch alittle on take off instead of just dumping it.... this will give the tires a fighting chance to hook...
how much air do ya have in the tires?
yeah im leaving in 2nd. im running 15 40 gearing in 300ft. ive tried all difereent pressures with the 4snows and ive found that they need to be pretty full to run good on hard dirt. aired down they just dont hook very good. thanks for the advice on the strut. any measurement or should i just get my own?

·
Registered
81 Posts
here's how I had my stock frame set up, 12 inch eye to eye Marvin Shaw's on the front I forget how long the rear one was LOL.you want it to be as low as you can get it. I would put your plus 10 swing arm back on here is a couple pictures of my bike and tires
studs hook extremely hard trust me will have your hands full!lol

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
QUOTE (TNTracing @ Mar 5 2009, 07:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33295here's how I had my stock frame set up, 12 inch eye to eye Marvin Shaw's on the front I forget how long the rear one was LOL.you want it to be as low as you can get it. I would put your plus 10 swing arm back on here is a couple pictures of my bike and tires
studs hook extremely hard trust me will have your hands full!lol

This bike flat out looks....SIK

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.