ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice...it's a pit bike first...LOL.

I got a 50cc Dinli atv from Rich @ Richards Auto Last week.

Bone stock, needed the carb cleaned up and tuned. Been beating up on it since...

With Radar's help, going to pipe, clutch and carb it. Later on, port it..

I've already removed the battery and just about every wire on the quad...simple as pie.

It's scary how much Radar knows about these things...and I can't wait to get it hopped up, because as you know...none of us can leave anything stock.

I'll be posting before, progress and after pics and vids very soon!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Goodies coming Thursday...will work with Radar to get the clutching setup right.

I'll take before and after vids if possible.

I'm thinking of coming to Port Huron Saturday, I know Brad Adams wants to go too...

Weather permitting, what's the deal/schedule for this weekend?

we will be doing a test and tune sat, race sunday.there will be some old atcs for you to run. lol

hope to see you guys this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Maybe I should post the battery and wiring delete diagrams because it works on the 50 and 90cc 2stroke dinlis, etons, arcticcats, polaris scramblers, predators , sundiro , unisons and quite a few others. If you think what I gave you is good post it up or I'll work on it.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Give me a day or two, I'll draw up a diagram. It might be in paint...but the colors will be accurate and I know first hand it works. I was done in less than an hour...and my only question was a power source for the electric choke...

I'll handle it Radar, you've done more than enough already and it's much appreciated!!!

T minus one day for goodies...

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Post some pics up dave !

Not tryin to jack ur thread , but I love seein the drag framed kids bikes.

I'd like to see some more pics of them.

My boy wants one bad.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do buddy.

All I can say is a hand coned pipe with a carbon fiber silencer on a pit bike is the Chit!!

I got it all back together last night, I've got some fine tuning to do on the carb, it's a bit fat on the top. But damn does it sound good!!!

I have to find a 1 3/4 to 2" ID pod slip on filter today. Gonna get some spark plugs and jet it in.

It's a totally different bike now....can't wait to get it fine tuned.

Honestly, Rico...I'm going to have as much fun riding this thing as a pitter as my girl's 7 year old!!

Here it is bone stock, her son wanted this as his picture for school that just started...LOL. I think i'm going to leave the bike without plastic...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Man I'd love to have any info you guys have on these things. My kid has a stock Eton 90 and we also have a 90 Scrambler in the garage in pieces. Ths Scrambler has a pipe and carb on it i think. I thought about building the Scrambler for me and whooping up on my buddies in the back yard with there little CRF copy bikes. I would like to strip some stuff off the Eton to simplify it a little but still keep the electric start. Just haven't had time to tear into it. I'm pretty sure I have a clutch kit laying around too.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave..

Radar knows more than any man, woman or child should know about these things.

And you can find parts for these things CHEAP!!!! I'm talking big bore cylinder, piston, pin, rings, head and gaskets for 80 to 150 shipped. Pistons are less than 20 shipped. It's amazing!!!

I'm behind the 8 ball on simplifying/removing the battery and cleaning up the wiring.

I will get a wiring schematic done tonight, color coded, promise!!

Eton, Kasea, Dinli, Yamaha....and more, all the same 50 and 90 cc motors.

You know how cool a mini sounds with a hand coned pipe, Pod/Uni filter and a carb on it? SAWHEET!!!!

I'm leaving the plastic off mine, and I'm going to have my buddy JD make me some floor boards for it to save myself and my boy from running over our feet!

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here ya go guys.

The only kicker is a stock carb with an electric choke. It has two wires, one needs to be to a constant power source (wire to the coil is fine for that) and one is a chassis ground. As Radar stressed to me, good chassis ground is critical on these little guys. I should add that mine has a single wire coil.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave...Obviously this removes the electric start and battery.

Mine was having issues with either the regulator or the ballast resistors overheating. Would run fine cold...but once really hot, ignition would cut out, etc.

Once I removed all the crap, been running like a top ever since. No issues.

There were two ballast resistors bolted up front (where I have the CDI bolted to now) and they got very, very hot. Like burn you hot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dave...Obviously this removes the electric start and battery.

Mine was having issues with either the regulator or the ballast resistors overheating. Would run fine cold...but once really hot, ignition would cut out, etc.

Once I removed all the crap, been running like a top ever since. No issues.

There were two ballast resistors bolted up front (where I have the CDI bolted to now) and they got very, very hot. Like burn you hot.

What are the resistors in there for? Lighting? The brakelights are kinda handy on the thing so I can have a little idea what he's doing but not a must have. We've got the resistors too. I'd just like to cut down on the amount of things that can make it puke on a trail.

I think the Scrambler parts bike we have has a carb, intake, pipe, and maybe clutching. I've got another clutch set up but haven't gotten into it to see what I have to have to make it work. I've heard that has a lot to do with making them run really well. Getting the stall speed right to match the motor.

Does your have a disc brake on the back? I've got a setup off an Eton I was going to sell. Bought it for the Polaris and then bought the Eton. Now I have extras. Not a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
The resistors are for lights like the taillight. You can leave it alone and not mess with it if you want the taillight. They usually don't have too many probs electrically unless you get em wet or muddy they don't like water especially in the stator. As for a clutch kit I use 4 springs and 6 rollers is all but they have to match the bikes mods. I thought 4 gram rollers would work in dajogejrs bike but it ended up liking 5 gram ones luckily I gave him 5s too just in case. See what pipe you have and what clutch stuff you have and I can help you to make sure it matches. I honestly can think of a few people that do the clutches really well to make em run and its cheap to do right.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I had to guess, the resistors are for the charging system, not the lights.

Since the battery that was on it is dead...I assume they were taking all the charge with no where for it to go.

My view is...it's a 50. If it ain't going to start with a battery, it aint' gonna start with the kick starter.

That's one more thing to mess up the electrical on the trail.

Radar will tell you...clutching these things is EVERYTHING. He's modded all the stock parts on it to get the most out of 'em.

It's got a disk out back and drums up front. They stop surprisingly well. My girlfriend just went for a ride on it and said WOW...can't believe how much faster it is with the pipe, carb, ignition and clutch work. More clutch work coming up soon...lightening it up, playing with the weights on front.

Because it takes 5 minutes to change the roller weights, I'm going to play with different weights. But the needle in the carb is PIG fat even dropped all the way down. I'm not going to mess with the clutch until I can drop a leaner needle in there....and then there might be E85...

After the riding season, porting and more compression!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll look into what parts I have. The bike runs pretty good here. We took it to Idaho and tried to ride it in the sand with just a set of Zippers. I tweeked the jetting but not enough. The little thing ran like crap the whole time we were out there. There was a little girl on a Scrambler with a pipe and paddles and she was ripping around like she was on dirt. Most of our riding is in sand of some type so some more mods are in order. I would like to keep the starter but the lights can go. I might look into it.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Just keep the wiring stock. There's no need to unwire the thing. My daughters 90 has stock wiring and its a 5mil big bore dragported and piped 90.

If you have a pipe and it's jetted it should run on sand. What pipe does it have? I can tell you pretty close to what spring rollers you'll need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.