ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a question for true nitromethane. not the klots red can nitro that is nitropropane. just wondering how much others have blended and gotten away with, and what they saw out of running top fuel. what was the oil mix % to the fuel. what type of oil they used.

many have tried to warn me away from true nitromethane telling me it was tough to get away with a 10% blend without tearing up the lower end. i have way surpassed that blend and ran up to a true 30% blend for an entire race night, not just one pass. the engine survived all season on nitro with a cost of one set of pistons and domes once i got to the higher percentage. i have also ran a 25% by volume blend of nitro propane through an engine. that wasnt pretty. the engine was crazy responsive and rpm'ed hard for three passes then kablewy.

i looked this way as everyone is searching for more horsepower. at the point portwork and chassis set up are dialed, the only thing left to do is try exotic fuels or build a bigger engine.

what have you done?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE (nemesis @ Apr 30 2009, 06:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=40624this is a question for true nitromethane. not the klots red can nitro that is nitropropane. just wondering how much others have blended and gotten away with, and what they saw out of running top fuel. what was the oil mix % to the fuel. what type of oil they used.

many have tried to warn me away from true nitromethane telling me it was tough to get away with a 10% blend without tearing up the lower end. i have way surpassed that blend and ran up to a true 30% blend for an entire race night, not just one pass. the engine survived all season on nitro with a cost of one set of pistons and domes once i got to the higher percentage. i have also ran a 25% by volume blend of nitro propane through an engine. that wasnt pretty. the engine was crazy responsive and rpm'ed hard for three passes then kablewy.

i looked this way as everyone is searching for more horsepower. at the point portwork and chassis set up are dialed, the only thing left to do is try exotic fuels or build a bigger engine.

what have you done?

noone huh?

·
Banned
786 Posts
i have ran it in the triple (evinrude) on my boat! we always used the klotz beanoil, not synethic, just the straight beanoil, 32:1 and i have never exceded 30% with much success but i ALWAYS mixed all fuels with a hydrometer! its nessasary!, not a banshee based motor but still the same consept, hope this helps R.N.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Boston Racing @ May 2 2009, 05:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=40856I ran 30% in my 18mm DM and it ripped. I did have it go lean and it stretched the bases studs
I would try it again for sure.

I experienced the same lean out on top end. i used 41pwk pros with two powerjets. the mikuni pill powerjet, i took the pill completely out, and ran the packard style powerjet wide open. not enough. probably need a third to try it again. i ran my timing at 10 degree advance on the plate. i bruned the plugs off at 3/4 track, but your right what a smokin difference. the torque was crazy. at 20% i couldnt shift fast enough with my normal gearing. so i went up a tooth on the front for 30% and still couldnt.

how much oil did you run in the 30%

·
Registered
88 Posts
QUOTE (nemesis @ May 3 2009, 01:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=40858I experienced the same lean out on top end. i used 41pwk pros with two powerjets. the mikuni pill powerjet, i took the pill completely out, and ran the packard style powerjet wide open. not enough. probably need a third to try it again. i ran my timing at 10 degree advance on the plate. i bruned the plugs off at 3/4 track, but your right what a smokin difference. the torque was crazy. at 20% i couldnt shift fast enough with my normal gearing. so i went up a tooth on the front for 30% and still couldnt.

16-1 Benol on the oil. Mine was fuel injected so I cant help on the jetting. I think I stretched the studs from running on the verge of a hydrolock. You will probably need to advance the timing more than the 10 degrees to get it burning.

·
Banned
1,373 Posts
QUOTE (Boston Racing @ May 2 2009, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=4086516-1 Benol on the oil. Mine was fuel injected so I cant help on the jetting. I think I stretched the studs from running on the verge of a hydrolock. You will probably need to advance the timing more than the 10 degrees to get it burning.

i wonder how the billet carbs w/dual powerjets would work?..also when you run to much oil wouldnt that cause it to lean out also?..which thats what i was told because the oil will slow down the flow of fuel because of the thickness of the oil,which i have never tried it but may this year since i have a few sets of pistons..lol..

·
Banned
1,373 Posts
also what motors are you guys using?..if i try it would be with stock cylinders so it wouldnt be so expensive..but here is another ? why not just spray a motor wouldnt it have as much power or more than messin with nitromethane thats prone to destruct/damage motors?..just wondering..

·
Banned
786 Posts
QUOTE (nemesis @ May 2 2009, 08:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=40858I experienced the same lean out on top end. i used 41pwk pros with two powerjets. the mikuni pill powerjet, i took the pill completely out, and ran the packard style powerjet wide open. not enough. probably need a third to try it again. i ran my timing at 10 degree advance on the plate. i bruned the plugs off at 3/4 track, but your right what a smokin difference. the torque was crazy. at 20% i couldnt shift fast enough with my normal gearing. so i went up a tooth on the front for 30% and still couldnt.

i used 3 pwr jets, 2 open all the way and 1 just 3/4 open, and a trenched cut needle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
definetly need three powerjets. your probably right about advancing the timing more. gotta make up for the fuel timing. should have used my dyna to realy adjust the timing . I ran the fuel on my 535 cheetah. as far as the oil content, it is necessary to help keep the engine together. your bearings will be taking a beating on nitro. those little rc cars run 8:1 mix just for an example. thats too much oil to burn efficiently in our engines but a heavy mix is necessary. Yes the heavy oil leans the fuel by volume, soo i set my carbs up on a pump with oversized bowls just to be safer. I've already sprayed nitrous which was cool, but i wanted to try someting else. I was told 10% was all i could run soo my forst blend was 20% just for the fun of disproving. big daddy hog nuts can vouch for the gains of nitro, especially when i mix his. ha

·
Banned
786 Posts
QUOTE (nemesis @ May 2 2009, 10:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=40870definetly need three powerjets. your probably right about advancing the timing more. gotta make up for the fuel timing. should have used my dyna to realy adjust the timing . I ran the fuel on my 535 cheetah. as far as the oil content, it is necessary to help keep the engine together. your bearings will be taking a beating on nitro. those little rc cars run 8:1 mix just for an example. thats too much oil to burn efficiently in our engines but a heavy mix is necessary. Yes the heavy oil leans the fuel by volume, soo i set my carbs up on a pump with oversized bowls just to be safer. I've already sprayed nitrous which was cool, but i wanted to try someting else. I was told 10% was all i could run soo my forst blend was 20% just for the fun of disproving. big daddy hog nuts can vouch for the gains of nitro, especially when i mix his. ha

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hydrometer, i thought you measured it in glugs plus an extra.

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (nemesis @ May 5 2009, 11:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=41460hydrometer, i thought you measured it in glugs plus an extra.

Nemesis you could put 10 powerjets in each carb and it wont solve your problem. The problem with loads above 20% is the fuel flow INTO the carb you got to get creative to ovecome this restriction

If you use a hydrometer make sure you correct it for temperature! If you always mix by volume you wont have that problem

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (GPracerX @ May 13 2009, 10:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=42378Nemesis you could put 10 powerjets in each carb and it wont solve your problem. The problem with loads above 20% is the fuel flow INTO the carb you got to get creative to ovecome this restriction

If you use a hydrometer make sure you correct it for temperature! If you always mix by volume you wont have that problem

I do mix mine by volume. So by running above the threshold of 20% you are saying that i will be unable to stabalize by adding the correct mixture of fuel needed to keep the engine from running lean. I have ran 30% and made a sucessful pass, but I think if I were going to contiune on with it I would use more timing, a hotter plug. I normally run the 14 paddle straights. On nitro It would pulled alot more tire and grear. It was a very noticible difference. On the dyno we ran it through our little engine, without a positive result. apparently I was bleaning the oil too much and the little engine showed a 1 horse loss on top end as well as a rpm loss. straight methanol burned better which i can only assume the oil blend was too thick. through all of last season I only hurt one set of plugs. which in turn hurt the pistons and domes. I'm warning anyone who tries this to expect to go through you engine as there is a serious learning curve. when big daddys 7mill 450r was torn down the nitro was getting past the rings which is common and was eating alot the internal plasstic parts. My ten mill crank was by no means old, and it beat every bearing in the engine to death, but none failed or caused damage because i checked it often. your engine will get hurt its just a question of how bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have heard of people using a sylenoid hooked to a powerjet to release straight nitro into the carb once the engine is up on rev, I just don't know anyone personally that has done this to get any honest info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I run up to 40% in my 4 strokes and it's a real nice kick in the [censored], makes up for the 100 lbs of additional jockey weight that I'm making my machines carry compared to an ultralight jockey on motor - about 3 tenths.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.