ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who haven't seen my yfz...

It is a 535cc motor, revs to 11,000rpm, mid to upper 60's hp and stock tranny, 72+ RO 14's and 16/38 gearing. I'm looking at doing some more work to it and I think I want a over ride. Who does good work for the yfz? I've heard of KBR's 1-3 and seen yfznmotions runs and hear it shifts smooth.... my question do I loose 4th and 5th gear? I've read on some web sites for the yfz they print it as 1-3 m4 and 5th. I am assuming this is missing 4th and 5th gear? 1-3 may work great for the 300-500ft drags, but here in Colorado our local dune drags run for a honest 900-1000ft run pegged in 4th hitting the rev limit or mid 5th gear at the finish line. So I think a 1-3 and missing 4th and 5th won't work for me. Is there a 1-4 that works good? How about a 1-3 over ride and still have 4th and 5th.... just would have to use the clutch?

I've seen and heard of lots of YFZ over rides not working.... and seen a few that worked great. I'd like to only have to install it once and install one that will work good for me and my drags..... Any pointers or people/ shops to contact..... or stay away from?

Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's 1-3 over ride and you use the clutch for 4th and 5th like normal. That thing is putting down upper 60s HP? Thats some serious power, I think going with a cut tranny is a no brainer since you have a duner to cruise around on. The bike looks great btw!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Vital @ May 9 2009, 12:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=41986It's 1-3 over ride and you use the clutch for 4th and 5th like normal. That thing is putting down upper 60s HP? Thats some serious power, I think going with a cut tranny is a no brainer since you have a duner to cruise around on. The bike looks great btw!

Yeah, and it isn't dialed in/ tuned completely yet, and after Okie I'm pretty sure I blew the head gasket.... so I figured while it was down I'd split it and install the over ride. I just didn't know where to go or have do it.... and I would rather not loose any gears..... just add the override.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind 1-3 and clutch for the 4th etc.

What is yours set up as? Looked like it was running flawless for snake hunt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
QUOTE (Terse @ May 9 2009, 02:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=41988Yeah, and it isn't dialed in/ tuned completely yet, and after Okie I'm pretty sure I blew the head gasket.... so I figured while it was down I'd split it and install the over ride. I just didn't know where to go or have do it.... and I would rather not loose any gears..... just add the override.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind 1-3 and clutch for the 4th etc.

What is yours set up as? Looked like it was running flawless for snake hunt.

nice yfz.. do you do your own motor work?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
mine is 1-3 over ride and 4 and 5 you have to clutch.
i just use 1-3 and thats about 300 ft. i very rarely use 4 or 5.
you can tell in the vids from last weekend i was shutting down alittle before the camera and every one flys by me. i guess i need to start shifting to 4th and running it out to on the dunes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not port heads, but I do all of the rest.

I've noticed that very same thing... not just with you... but most if not all the over ride yfz's. They seem to shut down sooner then others... and I figured it was due to rigid chassis's and how far they can go with their over rides. Like I said our drags here our very long and I would need to shift to fourth for sure. Do you run a lock out with your over ride? I was thinking that the Ron Woods springs I have would work. They never burnt up a clutch for me, and the only draw back was how hard it was to pull..... and with not having to use the clutch with the over ride the less rotational weight on the clutch might be an advantage. Not to mention I could then install it on to my duner

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Eric like they said the overrides are just manual 4 and 5. If you wanted to you could run softer springs and a slingshot lockup.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that's what I'll do I think....

Any good places to look at that can do the tranny?

KBR..... don't know who they send it too...?

Dave Moore?

Whitiker?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got mine slightly used from T-REX!! One of the best mods I have done. Its a 1-3, clutch 4th and 5th. I believe he said a guy from finishline racing cut it. My bike dynoed at 58hp and I put the 20 shot jets in it today, and everything worked awsome!!!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The guys name is Luke out of LA, I'm sending him my tranny next week to get cut. PM me if you are interested in his services, he does a reat job with a great price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE What is yours set up as? Looked like it was running flawless for snake hunt.

Mine is the 1-3 with normal 4th and 5th. I'd get in touch with KBR and Luke and see what they are both charging.

·
Registered
92 Posts
QUOTE (Radar @ May 9 2009, 08:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=42004Eric like they said the overrides are just manual 4 and 5. If you wanted to you could run softer springs and a slingshot lockup.
I run a slingshot(stealth undercover) with my override. If i would have known how much easier it was on my clutch hand, ida done it a year ago. I used to run 6 hd springs but now i run 3 hd/3 regular with the slingshot. It's on my shee but just trying to make a point. Id say go for it man. Your clutch hand will thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run a 1-4 override in my duner with a lockout. The catch is the shift to 4th is a little sketchy. It will shift override style sometimes but sometimes I have to clutch it into 4th. I have not had any issue with my Dunable override. Sometimes I have to watch cause the damn thing shifts so easy that it will upshift by just touching it.

I wont put another one of my 450s together without an override.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Fastnature @ May 14 2009, 04:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=42594I run a 1-4 override in my duner with a lockout. The catch is the shift to 4th is a little sketchy. It will shift override style sometimes but sometimes I have to clutch it into 4th. I have not had any issue with my Dunable override. Sometimes I have to watch cause the damn thing shifts so easy that it will upshift by just touching it.

I wont put another one of my 450s together without an override.

Who did yours? And have you "duned" with your dunable one? As it let the motor slow you down some or down shift while moving?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eric I dune the P out of my duner. I really am hard on it. I cram gears down and I use the motor to slow myself also. My local dunes are trails though trees and near river so I am on and off the gas all the time. Duneable is the only way I will ever go. this tranny has been though hell and it i shifts so easy that you better not rest your foot on the shifter or you will be changing gears when you not ready.

Greg does my overrides.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.