ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of overides are u runnin for a 300 ft sand/dirt track..

i ordered a wcr 1-5 dunable from jeff F.A.S.T. RACEING....

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
That is exactly what I use.
Gear your bike to launch in second...and you should be at the top of 5th gear going through the traps.
I run 16/44 gearing on mine...I think I need a 45 tooth on the rear, I still probably have gear for another 30 to 50 feet with 16/44.

Keep in mind, mines a 10 mil...compared to the 4 mil you're building.

73 rollout, 8 inch rim 14 paddle extremes.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have stock gear right now.. plan on goin with 15 in front.... my 12 pad haulers are 74 roll out on 8 inch wheels..

dont worry ,dave... u know when my bikes dne we will be talkin gearin !!! lol !!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just got my bike all put back together and ready to ride today after the override blowed up on me.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Why do you guys say 2-5? It's a dunable...why not go 1-5? If he's going 300 ft., just click up twice...like I do.

1-5 gives him more options IF he ever decides to race further, like 500 foot, 1/8 mile, etc?

Rico...
Badaddbanshee has a 2-5. We generally race 300 feet and dune race. However, we all went on the ice this year. They "coned" off 660 feet, or 1/8 mile.

On his 4 mil, he played hell with gearing...too much, it fell on it's face out of the hole to not run out at the end, too little, it was out of gear WAY short of the cones.

If he would've had 1-5...he would've had more options.

On a NORMAL override, not dunable...then I'd agree. Use 1st gear as the pit gear, putt gear, etc.
With a dunable, IMO....you're wasting your money on a 2-5 when you can have 1-5. If you don't mind clicking up twice instead of once to race 300 feet....

·
Registered
282 Posts
ive got the same dunable tranny that Dave has, and it does give you more options for different length tracks. having the first gear with neutral down is the way to go,jmo.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I have a 1-5 for my 350 and was going to set it up to launch in 1st @ the dunes and set it up for 2nd @ the track.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i ordered my 1-5 from f.a.s.t already... should be on its way. i went 1-5 dunable, the reason i did is with my stock cylns i could start in 2nd on the track or sand bars.... at little sahara , there where spots it wouldnt pull 2nd , so i d have to launch in 1st.

so , thats why i went with the 1-5.... better safe than sorry i guess....

06 .. what up with ur tranny ???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Heard it once...dont know if its true. First gear is a stronger gear to launch in. Second gear is weaker. Can anyone tell me why or whynot?

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (kawiking @ May 16 2008, 02:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335what kind of overides are u runnin for a 300 ft sand/dirt track..

i ordered a wcr 1-5 dunable from jeff F.A.S.T. RACEING....
got the same one.works great

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
QUOTE (Hillshooter @ May 17 2008, 12:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=445Heard it once...dont know if its true. First gear is a stronger gear to launch in. Second gear is weaker. Can anyone tell me why or whynot?

That is true...second gear is the weakest in the tranny. Problem is 1st is so low...unless you're riding a long ride, it's almost use less in drag racing.

Pavement guys or guys running a bit bigger motors usually go with a billet second gear.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ May 16 2008, 02:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337That is exactly what I use.
Gear your bike to launch in second...and you should be at the top of 5th gear going through the traps.
I run 16/44 gearing on mine...I think I need a 45 tooth on the rear, I still probably have gear for another 30 to 50 feet with 16/44.

Keep in mind, mines a 10 mil...compared to the 4 mil you're building.

73 rollout, 8 inch rim 14 paddle extremes.

That's what i was thinking with what i want on my 10mill

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ May 17 2008, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=456That is true...second gear is the weakest in the tranny. Problem is 1st is so low...unless you're riding a long ride, it's almost use less in drag racing.

Pavement guys or guys running a bit bigger motors usually go with a billet second gear.

It is because first is made onto the shaft, whereas 2nd is a replaceable gear.

We like 2-5 with neutral down because we can prestage, put it in neutral. Clean the motor out, shift up once, and be ready to race.

The gear spread is more favorable going from 2nd to 3rd, versus 1st to second as well.

We've been doing this for awhile now, so we do know a little bit about this race stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I launch in second too...
Make sure the bike is warmed up, quck burnout to clean it out...keep it cleaned out on the line...
Just different strokes for different folks I guess...I don't mind clicking up twice before I take off...I'm used to it.

Yeah..I didn't think you started racing yesterday...

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ May 17 2008, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=464I launch in second too...
Make sure the bike is warmed up, quck burnout to clean it out...keep it cleaned out on the line...
Just different strokes for different folks I guess...I don't mind clicking up twice before I take off...I'm used to it.

Yeah..I didn't think you started racing yesterday...

There have been many times actually when i would try to click up twice at the line, only to have it fall back into first gear. Be careful with that too, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I've had mine going on it's second season, never dropped down into 1st.

However...
I have had a brain fart, took off in first and ran 3 or 4 tenths slower, blowing the tires off, terrible 60 foot time and have been left scratching my head trying to figure out what is wrong...(Ok...so it only happened once or twice...LOL)

Kool..maybe it's a dunable thing, but I've got about 15 of these tranny's out there, never heard a single problem!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts