ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if someone could post pics of a override and lockup clutch set up, I work in a machine shop and want to possibly do this for my kx500 motor, not sure if anyone makes them. Also, just a good rundown on what exactly they do? Just allows shifting without pulling in the clutch?

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
They are 2 different things. Both in the transmission/drive of your bike. A lockup puts pressure on the pressure plate which presses the clutchplates and steels together so it wont slip the clutch/plates with a high HP bike. An override is how the gears are cut plus a few other things allowing a full power clutchless shift. My recommendation would be get an override from a company that does them and not do it yourself. They are prone to breaking and it's a big problem if it does. Whitaker (WCR) , Robinson and a few others do overrides for many bikes. I'd call them and see if they do one for the KX500 motor. As far as the lockup?????

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
As said, an override is how the gears are machined AND how the drum is cut/welded/machined as well.
Some need springs, some don't...

WCR is who'd I'd call as well. I don't know of anyone making one for a Kawi....but WCR is where I'd start as well.

Kevin Gigot is a site advertiser. He can probably point you in the right direction for a lockup.
He makes what's called a slingshot lockup that uses ball bearings on ramps to put pressure on the plate and make the clutch "lock up".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.