ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am putting a 2-5 override in my bike. i would like to know exactly how they work and how they work with the lock up? Also how do you race the bike with the over ride? i am under the impression that you dont have to use the clutch while shifting with the override. i have a triple ported stock set of cylinders, stock stroke welded crank, sb oof cpi pipes, 35mm airstrykers, lightened frame, +8 swinger, cool head, lock up, new clutch and soon to be 2-5 override. all i do is the sand 300ft drags. my gearings is 15 and 46 i beleive not 100% positive.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
have u already bought it ? now im not 100 % sure.. but i believe the true overide >u must come to a complete stop before u start down shifting.

and also on both overides.. u dont want to just let off the gas and let the motor backload, it will blow the tranny. u must pull the clutch in while ur still on the gas.

im sure more people that have ran them for yrs will comment.. i have a 1-5 n down duneable from wcr

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very nice should be easy to do. then how do i down shift. do i have to be completely stoped?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kawiking yea it is already done. i swapped some cylinders for it. not real sure what you mean about leting the motor back load?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Transmission requires
the rider to pull in the clutch whenever he
or she is decelerating in one of the
override gears. The best way to think of it
is, you always want the motor to push the
wheels, not the wheels push the motor.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (JP374 @ Nov 12 2008, 11:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15847Transmission requires
the rider to pull in the clutch whenever he
or she is decelerating in one of the
override gears. The best way to think of it
is, you always want the motor to push the
wheels, not the wheels push the motor.

makes sense. now what about putting around do i need to use the clutch when putting it around or do i just shift without it?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
QUOTE (jtraptor660 @ Nov 12 2008, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15848makes sense. now what about putting around do i need to use the clutch when putting it around or do i just shift without it?

You're not gonna wanna do much 'putting' around with a regular override. I'd recommend doing a search here, and on BHQ and read up quite a bit on these, especially since you got a regular one and not a duneable.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (okbeast @ Nov 12 2008, 11:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15849You're not gonna wanna do much 'putting' around with a regular override. I'd recommend doing a search here, and on BHQ and read up quite a bit on these, especially since you got a regular one and not a duneable.

well i didnt mean joy riding sorry. i meant just going to and from the strip from my pit area and so forth.
or do i just stay in 2nd to the strip.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
It is best practice to pull the clutch and then let off the gas. Excessive back loading could bend/break shift forks...

Remember it this way, the engine should push the bike, the brakes slow it down.

Click in second, use the clutch to take off then shift with no clutch full throttle.... Maybe overrides of old, non-dunables, were a little less forgiving.
But if you mess up a few times and don't pull the clutch, don't worry about it...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Nov 12 2008, 12:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15860It is best practice to pull the clutch and then let off the gas. Excessive back loading could bend/break shift forks...

Remember it this way, the engine should push the bike, the brakes slow it down.

Click in second, use the clutch to take off then shift with no clutch full throttle.... Maybe overrides of old, non-dunables, were a little less forgiving.
But if you mess up a few times and don't pull the clutch, don't worry about it...

thanks. i was starting to get a little nervous. just want a fast 350. everyone says this is the way to go. can i down shift with the clutch engaged while im am rolling or do i need to be close to a stop to down shif?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Nov 12 2008, 12:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15864I think you mean downshift with the clutch disengaged...
(Pulled in)
I wouldn't go slamming down gears just after you go through the traps...but, if you're within a reasonable speed, downshift.

yea thats what i meant.
good info to know. pretty much gonna be my first override. so trying to learn and figure out everything about it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Nov 12 2008, 01:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=15870A lot of urban legend about them, they're not as temperamental as everyone thinks...

I just want to put the power to the ground. i have heard alot about them being a pain. im an easy going guy so its gonna take alot of screwing up for me to bad mouth them. i just put the new cylinders on and im hearing i wont be able to shift with out one of these. so this is where i stand.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.