ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the differance more or less hook up i run dune and track im think im going with a 12 paddle

22 11 8

currently im running a 22 11 8 11 paddle extreame

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would like to hear more peoples opinions on this also.

I have a set of 22x11x8 14 paddle staggards 72+ RO on 8x8 rims. That's only a 22" tire. Some people tell me that these carcasses are way too small for that many paddles. Especially in a staggard pattern.

Although other people have told me, that this set-up is very desirable due to the small tire and amount of paddles.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Here's the scoop (at least for us LOL). We have a frieken stack of tires and wheels for different surfaces and racing tracks. But just for sand alone we have different paddles. I can make almost anything work on my banshee with gearing and clutch work, but for the 250R I have to use a 71-72 rollout 12paddle extreme for the dunes and a 77-78 rollout 14paddle staggered extreme for the track with a bar. I also have a set of 12paddle staggered ripper 77 rollout.

I like the staggered paddles simply for the fact that they do put a bigger footprint down. The space between the paddles on the sides is greater allowing more "scoop" time. When going A to B the fastest is your goal, then you have to get the first 60ft as fast as you can. Of course that's with trying to keep the bike running smoothly and straight.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
"We have a freakin stack of tires" Lol Bubba.

That's how I feel we have dirt tires, flattrack tires, sand tires for 7 bikes and 5 riders. On oklahoma sand it seems like the staggerds hook quite a bit better and mph high cuz at speed less paddle is in the sand.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Here's the scoop (at least for us LOL). We have a frieken stack of tires and wheels for different surfaces and racing tracks. But just for sand alone we have different paddles. I can make almost anything work on my banshee with gearing and clutch work, but for the 250R I have to use a 71-72 rollout 12paddle extreme for the dunes and a 77-78 rollout 14paddle staggered extreme for the track with a bar. I also have a set of 12paddle staggered ripper 77 rollout.

I like the staggered paddles simply for the fact that they do put a bigger footprint down. The space between the paddles on the sides is greater allowing more "scoop" time. When going A to B the fastest is your goal, then you have to get the first 60ft as fast as you can. Of course that's with trying to keep the bike running smoothly and straight.
i agree bubba, i run 14 stagger extremes with a bar and i found that combination works best for me also. sand track.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

I knw this is an old post:

What kinda gearing u running on that 370 to pull that much tire? The reason im curious is, I have some 14 extreme 73 ro...that i was thinkn bout trading for some 12's for my 370....didnt think the 370 wld pull them 14's.....maybe im wrong?? I was thinkn bout runnin the 12's w/ 15/36/38 gearing, maybe im way off on my calculations,

Thanks for any input BUBBA.

JP

·
Registered
767 Posts
I knw this is an old post:

What kinda gearing u running on that 370 to pull that much tire? The reason im curious is, I have some 14 extreme 73 ro...that i was thinkn bout trading for some 12's for my 370....didnt think the 370 wld pull them 14's.....maybe im wrong?? I was thinkn bout runnin the 12's w/ 15/36/38 gearing, maybe im way off on my calculations,

Thanks for any input BUBBA.

JP
OK, with the 12 paddle extremes I run a 15-35 gear on her bike. If it was for me being about 40-45 heavier I would gear it to a 36 on the back. For her 14 paddle staggereds I run either a 14-36 or 14-37 due to the rollout difference. Once the air goes bad we are stuck with the 37 to get the best times. Hope that helps. I would run the 14 extremes with a 15-36 to start with since they are a 73 rollout.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
OK, with the 12 paddle extremes I run a 15-35 gear on her bike. If it was for me being about 40-45 heavier I would gear it to a 36 on the back. For her 14 paddle staggereds I run either a 14-36 or 14-37 due to the rollout difference. Once the air goes bad we are stuck with the 37 to get the best times. Hope that helps. I would run the 14 extremes with a 15-36 to start with since they are a 73 rollout.
Thanks man.....You have always been a great help Bubba! Thanks again

·
Registered
117 Posts
JP, Bubba, what gear are you guys taking off in? We were experimenting with a very similar setup with a PSI 450cc cylinder setup until it blew up. We were running 16/34 for gearing and leaving in first with 78 ro 14 paddle staggered extremes and ending in third. Before that we were running 12 paddle extremes with the same gearing and leaving in second with pretty much the same et and mph and about the same 60ft but ending in 4th. I never got a chance to get the gearing right which is why I think we got the results we did. I was hoping to get the 60ft down with the 14 p staggereds if I could have geared it to leave in second and finish in 4th gear. Now were in pretty much the same setup as you guys, we had to go to the backup Prox 350 setup and were gonna see what we can do with the 14's, I was planning to gear it at 14/36 leaving in second and go from there. We have a back yard track and already tried 15/34 with the 14's but it was a bit to much and our track is much dryer and loose compared the local tracks.

·
Registered
767 Posts
JP, Bubba, what gear are you guys taking off in? We were experimenting with a very similar setup with a PSI 450cc cylinder setup until it blew up. We were running 16/34 for gearing and leaving in first with 78 ro 14 paddle staggered extremes and ending in third. Before that we were running 12 paddle extremes with the same gearing and leaving in second with pretty much the same et and mph and about the same 60ft but ending in 4th. I never got a chance to get the gearing right which is why I think we got the results we did. I was hoping to get the 60ft down with the 14 p staggereds if I could have geared it to leave in second and finish in 4th gear. Now were in pretty much the same setup as you guys, we had to go to the backup Prox 350 setup and were gonna see what we can do with the 14's, I was planning to gear it at 14/36 leaving in second and go from there. We have a back yard track and already tried 15/34 with the 14's but it was a bit to much and our track is much dryer and loose compared the local tracks.

No offense meant to anyone, but in my opinion you are not going to do good trying to leave in 2nd gear with a pro-x jug and run the best times. There just is not enough torque and power to do it. I'm not saying it wont leave in 2nd and run, but you must think of other variables. The first thing to always consider when trying to get a fast 60ft time is wheel speed. If the bike will leave with that much gear, then you almost end up like a banshee and blow the tires off. That's the main reason for leaving in 1st and gering it to leave hard. You slow down the tires and let them bite, the motors make good torque so you quick shift into 2nd and it wont pull down out of the power range like a banshee. I have tuned and tried almost every combo at the track, and I always come back to a 14-37 or a 14-36 leaving in 1st with the 14 staggered. Now also understand that her gas motor is different than an alky motor. The port timings are what some would call crazy, but it makes huge mid-range torque and will take a very quick shift into 2nd. It is also at the top of the RPMs crossing the line in 4th. On her 4.29 pass she had a 1.52 60ft and only ran right at 70mph. Just for some info, her bike weighed 284lbs last year at planetsand with the bar on it. Hope that might help some, but dont be afraid to try everything, including a shorter gear and shifting 3 times.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.