ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up? Went riding at a place called Haspen Acers her in eastern IN. .The place is 800 acres and very narly trail riding , solid woods! Well we decided to go to the drag strip to race each other and who ever else just for fun.These guys come rolling up one with a banshee. It looked pretty nice and you could tell it wasn't stock it had a set of in the frame drag pipes and a cool head on it but that was all that was obvious. We lined up and took of and was side by side half way down the track and he looked at me and nailed the gas ,stood the bike strait up and down and just left me riding a wheelie all the way. we raced one more time and he beat me by well over half track.He said that all that was done to it was a port job which he did his self and was running it on 93 octane. can a port job really make this much difference ? It was unbelievable! I am just simply tore up and obviously needing a port job!

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
He could've been on methanol (highly unlikely if he was there riding trails) could have a stroker motor plus a big bore, could be an aftermarket cylinder, could be he can just ride well and the chassis/setup is tuned in.

Your bike is probably in the neighborhood of 40ish HP, give or take.
A nicely ported set of stock cylinders with a stock stroke is very, very capable of 70 to 80 HP pretty easily..you can see how easy it would be to half track you with twice the HP.
Now, if he's got an aftermarket cylinder setup with a stroker crank, you can bolt on 100 HP easily, even on gas...

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
A good stock cylinder stock stroke can be twice what you have for HP, a 4mill even more and still look like a stock motor. 70-90hp is pretty common at the dunes. Theres hundreds of them.
He's probably got carbs, reeds, and with the inframe pipes yeah he'll kill you.
At my local track stockish piped banshees run 5.6-6.2 seconds and a ported, piped, carbed, stock swingarm bike will be maybe 3/4 second second faster than that. That equates to about 60 feet ahead in 300 feet. Even a +4 swingarm looks quite close to stock at a glance and might beat you by 100 feet in 300 ft or a couple hundred feet in a longer race.

·
Banned
1,373 Posts
a good port job is very,very important it helps with flow which a drag pipe,k&n filter,and a decent size carb and u would be suprised the power u can get ...which u take a stock motor and put a triple port job on it and keep everything else the same it will help but u do need other things for it to have its full potiential..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.