ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been covered but how do you meseaure port timing?
I have a dagree wheel I thank that is part of it but could be wrong
I just want to know what my motor is at right now cause i know nothing about it

·
Registered
767 Posts
Set the degree wheel up on one end of the crank (usually the flywheel side and you may have to take the flywheel off) Once it's on make a pointer out of a paper clip or something similar. You will start by making a piston stop. I use a small stiff strap of metal that has a 1/4 bolt and nut on one end, then attatch it to one of the head studs. It doesnt need to move at all. Now you are ready to find TDC (Top Dead Center). Roll the motor one way until the piston stops against the stopper. Rotate it the other way until it stops again. Exactly halfway between the 2 marks is true TDC.

You can work with the pointer and degree wheel and get it to where you dont need to do much adjustment to mark TDC. You can get it close by the eyeball and then check it with the piston stop. Once TDC is found, start there and rotate the engine until the exhaust port just opens, trans opens, ETC. and write the numbers down. Example the exhaust opens at 89* and trans opens at 117*. Keep rotating the engine until the ports are just closing, then write down those numbers (remember that you are dealing with 360* total). Subtract the numbers from each other and you will have your port timings. Try to get the ports just as they open and close.

So for example if your exhaust port opened at 89*, then closed at 279*, you would have an exhaust duration of 190* and if your trans opened at 117*, then closed at 245*, you would have a duration of 128*.

You can never really go wrong with a degree wheel as long as true TDC is found, and the wheel doesnt slip. The numbers wont lie to you. Hope that helps, Bubba

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.