ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good reason to run reed spacers other than spacing the carb from the clutch actuator? I've read both sides saying to run them and also not too. It seems that they would only increase crankcase volume if installed between the reeds and cylinder which I believe would give you less power or if installed between the reed and intake would only lengthen the intake tract and essentially do the same in reducing power unless you put in some serious stuffers.
Can anyone elaborate on this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (banshee217 @ Sep 22 2008, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11271Does anyone have a good reason to run reed spacers other than spacing the carb from the clutch actuator? I've read both sides saying to run them and also not too. It seems that they would only increase crankcase volume if installed between the reeds and cylinder which I believe would give you less power or if installed between the reed and intake would only lengthen the intake tract and essentially do the same in reducing power unless you put in some serious stuffers.
Can anyone elaborate on this?

Many years ago. I ran a reed spacer on my 250R. I tried it between the cylinder and the reeds. It seemed to make more low end power installed there. I tried it between the reeds and intake boot. It seemed to make a broader mid range and shift the power a little more toward the top end.
These days I have a banshee. I run reed spacers on it too. Installed between the reeds and the intakes. But, I have nitrous foggers installed in them.

I think your results would be similar no matter what bike you ran them on. It just depends on what its set-up for, and how you like the power delivery. I don't think you get a horsepower gain from them. They just effect the way the power comes on. But, of course this is jmo. LOL

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i think all stated are the good reasons why,I mainly run mine to space the carbs back from the actuater but i do run the spacers to potentially help the big end if it does make a difference.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like to use them to shift the power curve around some.

In some cases I use a spacer to get the reed cage back to unmask the boost ports(NOT the boyesen ports, the boost ports- the ones in the roove on the intake).

I also like to use them when a motor is breaking reeds continually- it tends to make reeds last longer.

I also use them to tune the overall intake tract length. There is an ideal intake length for each motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts