ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever refilled there shaw with fresh or more oil?
If so what kind of oil do you use and does it go into the stem where you put the nitrogen in @?

Any info would be great.

Thanks Bobby

·
Registered
793 Posts
Oh okay that makes sense. thats good to know when ever mine decides it needs oil. lol thanks.
i have the number to Yarnell Specialties. Tim is a really cool guy from what i was told. they are the new marvin shaw owners. 480-982-3942 im sure they would help you out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shaws arent that hard to figure out once youve taken it apart a time or two..

i can help....you can reach me here if you need to..

josh

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
i think theres 2 diff oils in there. i know i had trouble gettin the shaw off for pc, and i unscrewed it from the top - red fluid came out. almost looked like tranny fluid.

i was messin with the valve the otherday and it shout oil out , (in my truck) ,, it looked more like cream colored grease .

so , good ? ,bb ... my shaws leakin at tap from the top , so i ll need to know what goes in the top of the shock as well

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
There are a couple different oils to put in the thing.

You can run straight ATF in there but the dampening will be a little light. I use a 50/50 mix of ATF and 30wt.

To take it apart, release all the pressure out of it and take a screw driver, or whatevers and push on the retaining spacer which is between the shock shaft and the body. It will push up in the body a little and you will see a snap ring there. Get the snap ring off of there and the shock will fall apart. Clean the body out and put the new oil in. You will have to call Yarnell to find out how many cc's you'll need to put in it because shock length will determine how many cc's it needs.

Next time don't bump the shrader valve...use a bleed off valve

·
Registered
439 Posts
Kool, you say don't bump the shrader valve...will this hurt the shock by releasing too much pressure at once?

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it back toghter, Tim said use 80-90 weight gear oil and i put 100cc's of oil into the shaw.
But it will need re valving for me or the chassis casue it's @ 1000 psi and it's still squishy.

Tim said i can pump it up to 1300 for the weekend....i guess we will see.

·
Registered
767 Posts
QUOTE (BBIII @ Apr 24 2009, 10:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=39765Mine still moves a little to much for me so we will see.

We know it's not right if it moves with your butt on it

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (southpaw2 @ Apr 23 2009, 07:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=39574Kool, you say don't bump the shrader valve...will this hurt the shock by releasing too much pressure at once?

Right for a couple reasons. One, is that you can not just let "100 or so psi" out by tapping the shrader valve. You'll drop more like 400. Second is that when/if you tap the valve it will also release the oil as well.

I used to run mine at 700 for the dunes, and 1000 for the track. At 700 it took the whoops alright, and at 1000 it acted as a strut.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.