ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gettin ready to have my cases trenched and the guy that is gonna do um asked if I could remove the case studs for him.... I was wondering if there is any tricks to doing this? I have tried on passed sets of cases and never had any luck.... can ya heat um up without distorting the crap out of the case halfs?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heat the cases up to 250*F- if mama aint home the oven works well
Dont heat them up too much if you use a torch- if WD40 smokes readily its too hot. Get a good collet style stud puller. Pray.
Tap the end of the stud a couple times with a soft faced hammer (preferably brass or copper alloy type). Start turning. Pray some more.

The steel studs in an aluminum cases is a sure recipe for stuck parts. Dissimilar metal corrosion at its finest.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol! thank you back country..... can you do like you do on engine blocks? heat the stud up then hit it with say a candle so the wax goes into the threads? I know this is the only way to get pipe plugs out of a small block chevy.....

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
warmed the studs up with a little tourch, touched a candle to the stud, came right out!

thank you all for the replies.....

off to the machinest they go.....

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (badassbanshee479 @ Mar 6 2009, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=33368warmed the studs up with a little tourch, touched a candle to the stud, came right out!

thank you all for the replies.....

off to the machinest they go.....

this meathod! lol

no sorry rico, I am not much of a camera person.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.