ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting my 73.5 bore cheetah together. I was wondering if you think .010 for a ring end gap is too tight. The cylinder has a fresh replate and the rings are new also of course. I can't remember what I was running before.

Do you guys think this is a little too tight for this bore? What end gap do you run and what bore size also?

I know the general rule is .004 per inch and my bore is approx. 2.9 inches which puts me at about .0115 according to "the general formula".

Mailman

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would not go smaller than .012 myself mailman. There is little to nothing to gain from going smaller, and a lot to loose. If those rings get hot enough to expand past what the gap is, they will then bottom out and push into the exhaust port and catch the upper or lower edge on the way through.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Exactly what Redline said. .010 is a little close. I set everything at .012 even little 40mm pistons.

It's very important not to ride the heck out of a new build untill the rings smooth out the bore completely, when breaking in the rings they are moving across an abrasive surface of the bore and they can get hot which can make them lose tension as well as expand and close the end gap.

Your rings are then slightly too big for the bore size and will catch on the edge of the exhaust port and make you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.