ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wired up my new drag bike and have a question on the tether.
i have shortened my wire harness and taken out all the unnecessary
components (lights, key switch ect....).
i have my tether wired into the coil and am currently using it
for the only kill switch. i went for a test ride and acciedntally
touched the metal end of the tether switch and got a nice little jolt.
have any of you all had this happen to you?

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aw heck. i thought about puttin a couple resistors inline with it to step the voltage down
but i dont know how much is going through that little orange wire.
you really think the tape wont melt, the wire is right behind the radiator?

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Lightninn @ Jun 27 2008, 04:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=3881There is a another way to wire the kill switch and you won't get any shocks like you are now. If you still have it, there is a wire coming from the CDI that is black/yellow. This wire was once connected to your stock on/off switch. If you wire one side of the kill switch to that wire, and the other to ground, it will kill the ignition as you want.

ahhhh...i know the wire you speak of. its actually a white/black wire in my harness.
I will have to try it out.
thanks

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
allllrighty then, i have re-wired up my tether to the factory engine stop
wire (black/white stripe) and i still got a little jolt from the end of it. LOL
oh well, the bike runs really well and the kill switch works well and i will
be wearing a good set of gloves when racing anyways...

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
QUOTE (Lightninn @ Jul 21 2008, 06:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6004Which wire of the Pro-Design tether switch did you attach to a ground point on the frame? You should have attached the shorter wire to ground and the longer wire to the black/white wire coming from the CDI unit. The shorter wire on the tether switch is coming from the clamping portion of the tether. The longer wire runs from the moveable portion of the switch.

gosh, i really didnt pay too much attention to the wires comming off the switch.
they were both the same length and i didnt think it would matter. i will revisit it
one more time. LOL

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
no, im not the bad, evil dave germain.
that sumbeech that lives out in california and does the movie reviews is.

i didnt see anything in the instructions specifing which wire goes where.

i may just leave it as is. it doesnt really hurt all that much.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
QUOTE (Lightninn @ Jul 21 2008, 06:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6004Which wire of the Pro-Design tether switch did you attach to a ground point on the frame? You should have attached the shorter wire to ground and the longer wire to the black/white wire coming from the CDI unit. The shorter wire on the tether switch is coming from the clamping portion of the tether. The longer wire runs from the moveable portion of the switch.

got it fixed, this is exactically right. I just had the switch wired up backwards.
when the bike was running, the opposited side (with the exposed metal piece)
was energized which is what was giving me the jolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.