ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pingel also makes a tether kill switch. 10X better quality than the POS plastic ones. You'll pay for it- but its a way nicer unit. Alot of MX/XC racers use them because they hold up better. Pingel makes two models- battery start and kick start- make sure you get a kick start type.

Yes use the black/white wire for one leg and ground on the other leg.

Of related note- There is a black/yellow wire but its from the TORS system and ties back to ground.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To wire in the Pro-Design tether, run one of the wires of the tether to a ground point on the frame. Make sure the ground connection to the frame is metal on metal contact. Connect the other wire of the tether to the black/white wire in the harness.

When using this method, you do not and should not need to splice into the black wire or orange wire leading to the coil...

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (okbeast @ Jul 7 2008, 09:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=4688Hm, i do still have that wire hanging off. I wonder what i did with the one for the ground though...would it happen to be tied in with the black wire that goes from the harness to the coil?

Edit: re-read daves post. the ground wire comes FROM the tether, not goes to it right? so you only have 1 switch going from the harness to the kill switch.
If you only have one wire to the switch, then you can assume that the switch grounds itself to the handle bars internally................. or the switch doesn't work. I suppose you can pick which makes you feel better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
allllrighty then, i have re-wired up my tether to the factory engine stop
wire (black/white stripe) and i still got a little jolt from the end of it. LOL
oh well, the bike runs really well and the kill switch works well and i will
be wearing a good set of gloves when racing anyways...

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (hilarious @ Jul 20 2008, 07:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5881allllrighty then, i have re-wired up my tether to the factory engine stop
wire (black/white stripe) and i still got a little jolt from the end of it. LOL
oh well, the bike runs really well and the kill switch works well and i will
be wearing a good set of gloves when racing anyways...

Which wire of the Pro-Design tether switch did you attach to a ground point on the frame? You should have attached the shorter wire to ground and the longer wire to the black/white wire coming from the CDI unit. The shorter wire on the tether switch is coming from the clamping portion of the tether. The longer wire runs from the moveable portion of the switch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
QUOTE (Lightninn @ Jul 21 2008, 06:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6004Which wire of the Pro-Design tether switch did you attach to a ground point on the frame? You should have attached the shorter wire to ground and the longer wire to the black/white wire coming from the CDI unit. The shorter wire on the tether switch is coming from the clamping portion of the tether. The longer wire runs from the moveable portion of the switch.

gosh, i really didnt pay too much attention to the wires comming off the switch.
they were both the same length and i didnt think it would matter. i will revisit it
one more time. LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
no, im not the bad, evil dave germain.
that sumbeech that lives out in california and does the movie reviews is.

i didnt see anything in the instructions specifing which wire goes where.

i may just leave it as is. it doesnt really hurt all that much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (hilarious @ Jul 21 2008, 12:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6014no, im not the bad, evil dave germain.
that sumbeech that lives out in california and does the movie reviews is.

i didnt see anything in the instructions specifing which wire goes where.

i may just leave it as is. it doesnt really hurt all that much.

Well that's up to you, but I would suggest getting it right. Have you painted or powder coated your frame? Are you sure the coil is properly grounded where it attaches to the frame? Also make sure where you ground the tether is a nice bare metal connection to the frame...

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
QUOTE (hilarious @ Jun 27 2008, 09:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=3809aw heck. i thought about puttin a couple resistors inline with it to step the voltage down
but i dont know how much is going through that little orange wire.
you really think the tape wont melt, the wire is right behind the radiator?

Resistors are a current limiting component, they are not used to regulate voltage. I guess you could say a resister drops voltage by turning it into heat and then dissipating it, but it isn't considered smart electronics.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
QUOTE (Lightninn @ Jul 21 2008, 06:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=6004Which wire of the Pro-Design tether switch did you attach to a ground point on the frame? You should have attached the shorter wire to ground and the longer wire to the black/white wire coming from the CDI unit. The shorter wire on the tether switch is coming from the clamping portion of the tether. The longer wire runs from the moveable portion of the switch.

got it fixed, this is exactically right. I just had the switch wired up backwards.
when the bike was running, the opposited side (with the exposed metal piece)
was energized which is what was giving me the jolt.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.