ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find some Shearer pipes for my bike. I'm definitely getting a 68mm cub. Depending on how my play money goes, is depending on whether I stick with the 4mil, or get a 10mil. I intend on building the 10mil, but cash is tight. Now, if I buy big bore pipes, and I end up staying with the 4mil, would they hurt the performance? I know, the more your engine can breathe, the easier it is to make horsepower. But I'm thinking the big bores might not be enough back pressure for the 4mil. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
QUOTE (2001Stroker @ Nov 28 2008, 03:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17693I'm trying to find some Shearer pipes for my bike. I'm definitely getting a 68mm cub. Depending on how my play money goes, is depending on whether I stick with the 4mil, or get a 10mil. I intend on building the 10mil, but cash is tight. Now, if I buy big bore pipes, and I end up staying with the 4mil, would they hurt the performance? I know, the more your engine can breathe, the easier it is to make horsepower. But I'm thinking the big bores might not be enough back pressure for the 4mil. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
theres acouple of people on here that ran bb shear oof's on there 4 mils... fouledout421... badaszbanshee ... austin oneal..

but i believe all those motors are drag ported cubs.. i have a set of bb shear oof's as well for my 4 mill.
i havent tryed them yet, im runnin bigboybanshee's ggr oof sb pipes right now.

are u wantin oof or in frames ?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Kawiking @ Nov 28 2008, 04:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17694theres acouple of people on here that ran bb shear oof's on there 4 mils... fouledout421... badaszbanshee ... austin oneal..

but i believe all those motors are drag ported cubs.. i have a set of bb shear oof's as well for my 4 mill.
i havent tryed them yet, im runnin bigboybanshee's ggr oof sb pipes right now.

are u wantin oof or in frames ?
Inframes. I don't drag race like you guys, so there's no need to get oof's. Don't cubs come somewhat drag ported? I know you can get more out of them, but they should breathe enough to keep up with those pipes, right?

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
QUOTE (2001Stroker @ Nov 28 2008, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17695Inframes. I don't drag race like you guys, so there's no need to get oof's. Don't cubs come somewhat drag ported? I know you can get more out of them, but they should breathe enough to keep up with those pipes, right?
if ur not drag racin then go with sb for a 4 mi, bb for a 10 mil

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
The "factory" casting in the cubs is technically a drag port. When we have them ported, they're just opened up a little more, but not a tremendous bit.

IMO, 4mil cub, w/ no extra porting, I would go Shearer small bore. You could still use them for the 10mil too, you just won't have the "best" you could get with it...but since you don't drag race, I think the small bores would be a good pipe to go with....

My 4mil cub was originally setup with small bore, inframe shearers, cleaned up (before I bought it) and it flat out RIPPED...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really would like to build the 10mil. It's high on my list. Just don't know if I will have the funds to do it, since I will have to get a new crank and do some machine work on the cases. I found a steal on some BB in frames that I don't wanna pass up. That's why I'm asking. If I were to get them, and ended up just building another 4mil, would the BB's hurt performance? I am gonna get the ports cleaned up before I build though.

Just read your post, bigboy. I guess I'll have to pass on the deal, and see what motor I build. Just so you guys know, I mostly ride very fast/aggressive trails and hillclimb. So, I'm guessing the SB would be the best route for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE (2001Stroker @ Nov 28 2008, 03:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17698I really would like to build the 10mil. It's high on my list. Just don't know if I will have the funds to do it, since I will have to get a new crank and do some machine work on the cases. I found a steal on some BB in frames that I don't wanna pass up. That's why I'm asking. If I were to get them, and ended up just building another 4mil, would the BB's hurt performance? I am gonna get the ports cleaned up before I build though.

Just read your post, bigboy. I guess I'll have to pass on the deal, and see what motor I build. Just so you guys know, I mostly ride very fast/aggressive trails and hillclimb. So, I'm guessing the SB would be the best route for me.

On a 4mill it really depends on who you get to do the port work. You can port a 4mill cub to like either big bore or small bore shearers. I really don't think you would lose any power going with the big bore pipe if you found a great deal, but the you really should be asking the person that's going to port the cylinders for you. I've run both and like the bb better but that's just me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
word, thanks. I just caught a pretty decent deal on some SB inframe CPI's. So I'm gonna go that route instead. And just for the record, Jeff at FAST is gonna do a little grinding on them for me. Just a cleanup.

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
if ur goin with jeff, he s goin to tell u to run shears... he ports for shear pipes.
give jeff a call or pm him and talk at him about a port job and u runnin cpi's

·
Registered
301 Posts
There was a 10mil cub done by Rick Cairo (friend of F.A.S.T Racing) and he tried SB outa frame shearer's, and BB outa frame Shearer's, and he lost 2 mph, and a couple hundreth of a sec in the 300ft using the BB Shearer's.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Kawiking @ Nov 29 2008, 12:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17719if ur goin with jeff, he s goin to tell u to run shears... he ports for shear pipes.
give jeff a call or pm him and talk at him about a port job and u runnin cpi's
Yea, I'll call him. But I ain't going all out with it. He's just going to touch up the casting edges for me.

QUOTE (Kawiking @ Nov 29 2008, 12:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17720i hadnt seen what kind of carbs ur runnin
Well, right now I have 35PJ's on my 4mil with 18cc domes and 185psi, but prolly go with 38PWK's or 39PWK's on the 10mil. Keeping it on race gas though. I would like to keep it somewhere around 180psi.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.