ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

slingshot or directdrive lock up ??

14K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  GPracerX 
#1 ·
how many people run a slingshot clutch....

im wondering which one to get for my 421 motor

#2 ·
Got both...bike ran the same for me in the sand with the slingshot as the direct drive.
However, to be fair...I've got more testing to do.
It held up fine for Gilbert this year...

I'll have a new clutch to replace my 3 plus year old FAST clutch next week.
The under stock cover slingshot is nice....a dd style lockup cover can get pricey...

I'd honestly say for a 4 mil cub...either will do fine. Same could be said for my 10 mil...but the bigger motors need more bite...Nate has had very good results with his bigger motors and the slingshot.

One real plus...

You get a slingshot, you've got one man to call and deal with, and Kevin is a great guy who is patient and takes time to not only answer your questions, but to LISTEN to them as well...

#3 ·
I have both as well for my honda...the DD looks very cool, but the extended kick shaft for the 250r to make it work with the cover sucks. Its rubs against your leg. Plus the DD customer service is very poor IMO....

I would personally go with GP's slingshot lock up...fits under the stock cover, and Kevin is an awesome person to ddeal with! Maybe in the future we could see a quick change cover Kevin???

#5 ·
QUOTE (blasterman88 @ May 16 2008, 07:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338Maybe in the future we could see a quick change cover Kevin???

dont get me lying... ive never had a lockup and none of my buddies run them..... so im goin to be on my own on this.(so get ready for some pm's ,dave when i do get one

are they easy to set up the first time.. or does it take acouple of times to dial it in..... if so , id prob want to go dd .. so i dont have to take the cover off everytime.

i ve heard dejogejr (dave) bike ran bad a$$ at planet sand with his slingshot..... (what were those times again ,dave ??)

dont act like u have to think about it !!! lol

#26 ·
"Sorry Kevin, the "other" slingshot..."
Might be a problem. Where the design and concept is almost the same, the variations that I am aware of puts the "other" ball-style lockup at a distinct disadvantage over the real "slingshot."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.