ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you measure squish band? I know what Squish Band is but just don't know the best way to measure it or what the best squish band should be. I'm trying to get more in depth with how motors are set up.

Also i have a 10mill cub on alky running B9EGV'S what should i gap them at?

Thanks for listening to my dumb questions.

Cody

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question....except if it's boost bottle related...LOL.

Get some .065 solder, I like the kind with a resin core, it smashes easier than solid solder.
You know how to do the test, right?

Squish thickness is measured by how thick the smashed part is (Normally varies, .040 to .060 or so...)
Squish band is the length of the solder that is smashed, from the tip back.
Take several measurements, and make sure you are feeding the solder in parallel with the wrist pin.
If you feed it in front to back, the piston rock will give you a false reading....

Run the plugs gapped .018 to .020.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See i was reading about squish band, spark plug gap, compression, etc. Don't all have to correspond with each other? To answer your other question Dave no i don't know how to do the test but i 100% want to learn. So i figure asking question and reading about it will teach me...hehe

I'm just trying to get my bike dialed in as much as possible on my own.

Thanks for the info as usual though Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
OK...I know it's written up somewhere how to do it. Let me find that rather than re-write a novel...

I think you'll find the standard answer for a spark plug gap is .018 to .020 for a methanol bike.

You'll find different preferences with different reasons on the type of plug to use.
I like the ES series...others like EG, EGV, etc... Preference.

Let me see what I can dig up for ya.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank ya sir

Hey Dave you had the same frame, swing arm, motor etc. at one time did you have a problem with the chain hitting the left subframe rail (when your sitting on the bike ofcourse it's the rail running by the chain) rubbing against it? I haven't put my engine strut stay on yet. It didn't mess it up severely but you can tell the chain hit it. I think it's cause my rear shock is set way to low on PSI. I almost hit frame when taking off. I'm just thinking i need to adjust my shock and chain tension.

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE (bigboybanshee @ Jul 6 2009, 10:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49407I too prefer the BR9ES plugs.

I gap mine at .024, but I also run a dyna ignition...

You "want" your squish to be around .040-.045 for the cub.

Are you running asphalt or sand/dirt?

QUOTE (KaosBanshee44 @ Jul 6 2009, 05:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49354or what the best squish band should be. I'm trying to get more in depth with how motors are set up.

Thanks for listening to my dumb questions.

Cody

squish clearance and profile, IMO, depends on a few different things, piston size, compression ratio , squish width and angle , rpm, a motor designed for long loaded pulls will typically use a wider band for more combustion control and endgas cooling where a quick revving high output motor will have a narrower band... the main reason for setting it as close as possible is to squeeze the most amout of charge into the "usable" combustion process, but if you set it to close (which has no "single" set number IMO) you will raise certain numbers to high and cause other problems... many factors will need to be set before a single unit like squish can be set.. just setting it at a certain number not taking into accout things like CR, piston size, rpm, and angle(flatter angles produce higher velocities) and length of pull in the torque range. I have seen 68 bore cubs set records at over .050 clearance but the whole combustion process was working right

A squish band that isnt working properly will cause more damage and problems than not running a band at all. It may take many posts to string this one out. lol

Dan Wade has a saying I like,, "If all chambers were alike, Wal-Mart would sell them"

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (bigboybanshee @ Jul 6 2009, 01:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49407I too prefer the BR9ES plugs.

I gap mine at .024, but I also run a dyna ignition...

You "want" your squish to be around .040-.045 for the cub.

Are you running asphalt or sand/dirt?

Right now i'm running asphalt until i make a trip to the dunes.

Thanks for the info guys

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
QUOTE (Sculpter @ Jul 7 2009, 06:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49522squish clearance and profile, IMO, depends on a few different things, piston size, compression ratio , squish width and angle , rpm, a motor designed for long loaded pulls will typically use a wider band for more combustion control and endgas cooling where a quick revving high output motor will have a narrower band... the main reason for setting it as close as possible is to squeeze the most amout of charge into the "usable" combustion process, but if you set it to close (which has no "single" set number IMO) you will raise certain numbers to high and cause other problems... many factors will need to be set before a single unit like squish can be set.. just setting it at a certain number not taking into accout things like CR, piston size, rpm, and angle(flatter angles produce higher velocities) and length of pull in the torque range. I have seen 68 bore cubs set records at over .050 clearance but the whole combustion process was working right

A squish band that isnt working properly will cause more damage and problems than not running a band at all. It may take many posts to string this one out. lol

Dan Wade has a saying I like,, "If all chambers were alike, Wal-Mart would sell them"

That is very true.

I was giving my opinion based off the fact that I used to run an engine setup by the same guy that did Cody's current engine, and am just repeating what the builder told me he likes to aim for (squish).

·
Registered
125 Posts
QUOTE (bigboybanshee @ Jul 8 2009, 06:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=49645That is very true.

I was giving my opinion based off the fact that I used to run an engine setup by the same guy that did Cody's current engine, and am just repeating what the builder told me he likes to aim for (squish).

I didnt mean to make that look like I was responding totally at you, I was just generally responding or trying to lol , I just hit the reply on the last post , sorry,

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
LOL, you don't have to apologize, I was just clarifying myself so it would be known I'm not just throwing that info out there, Jeff told me in the past that he aims for .040-.045 on his setups.

Like you said though, the "correct" squish will vary depending on other variables, there is no "cookie cutter" measurement. It IS important that people understand that

·
Registered
767 Posts
The variables involved is why I dont get into these kind of posts LOL. It would be nice if all engines had the same number to shoot for.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I really liked "The Squish Band" and their 1974 hit "Oh-Ring Me Baby". I was sad to see them break up do to legal costs from the court battle with their label, after the record company let mega group "Queen" record " The Squish Bands" song "Under Pressure" without crediting "Squish Band" Co-writers - C. Ratio and D. Tonation. Copies of their hit single are still available thru the NKG label.

·
Registered
767 Posts
ROFLMAO!!!

Dang that was good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.