ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an lt250r that has some minor work. mosly bolt on accessories. i have done some 300 ft. races and it does good for what little is done to it but i am looking for more. i would like max. hp out of the motor. however, i have heard that the suzuki LT motors become fairly unreliable once they start producing big hp. i heard that the clutch and tranny wont hold up and perform well and most importantly they wont be reliable. now i understand that once you produce big hp you comprimise your motors reliability but i was told that if i go with a trx250r motor it will be more reliable with big hp. There is also the factor of aftermarket parts. they seem to be getting harder to find for the LT motor (especially clutch components) where parts for the trx250r seem to still be available and somewhat easy to locate. i dont plan on taking the motor over 270cc for now, i want to start small and work up. however i am thinking about an over ride tranny. if you have any experience with either of these motors then please help me out i would greatly appreciate it, i just need a little guidance as to which motor to choose. also, if i do go with the trx motor i am going to try and fit it into the lt chassis. dont know if it will work, but it will make things a little cheaper till i can afford a rigid chassis. im tryin to focus on the motor first, then move onto an aftermarket chassis. thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
The Suzuki chassis is a lighter unit, but the 250r makes more HP and is more reliable than the LT250.

Back in the day the popular TT setup was to take a LT250 chassis and stuff a 250R motor in it. That way you had a light bike with a powerful 250cc motor.

Stay away from the LT power plant if you are looking for reliability and parts availability.

·
Registered
246 Posts
QUOTE (Koolguyson @ Dec 19 2008, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=21469The Suzuki chassis is a lighter unit, but the 250r makes more HP and is more reliable than the LT250.

Back in the day the popular TT setup was to take a LT250 chassis and stuff a 250R motor in it. That way you had a light bike with a powerful 250cc motor.

Stay away from the LT power plant if you are looking for reliability and parts availability.

You can do a lt500 powerplant as well that make swap kits I know you wanted to stay around 270cc's.

I know Dr Q has ways of making lt's reliable the 250's and 500's.

Check out www.quadracerhq.com for more info on suzuki setups.

Im not sure if you can get an override for an lt tranny or not.

Your safest bet would be to do the trx or atc 250 swap parts are everywhere and I dont see a decline in the aftermarket like the lt's.

lates
chris

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
they are quick dragers in 300' but the r was made for motorcross and ive always heard head gaskets are a pain to keep in those lt's

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
my bro in law has a 86' suki 250.... not much aftermarket for it like the 250 r ...
are u tryin to stay around the 250-300 cc mark. if u do a 250r motor swap, and want to go big.

u might p.m. carolina shaker..... the boy knows his bikes.

put yes.. any motor u start modding, the reliablility goes to poo..... but thats racing.
are u wanting a play/race bike ???

or a full drag bike....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Kawiking @ Dec 23 2008, 07:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=22227my bro in law has a 86' suki 250.... not much aftermarket for it like the 250 r ...
are u tryin to stay around the 250-300 cc mark. if u do a 250r motor swap, and want to go big.

u might p.m. carolina shaker..... the boy knows his bikes.

put yes.. any motor u start modding, the reliablility goes to poo..... but thats racing.
are u wanting a play/race bike ???

or a full drag bike....

Im going full drag quad. head mods, full race port, out of frame expansion chamber, etc. etc. i wanna do it right while keeping it 250cc. the class i will b racing in will be up to 274cc actual displacement, open fuel. im not looking to do and alky motor but it will be running high octane fuel. if i get stupid enough i might run in the next class up which is up to 400cc open fuel. i dont expect to win obviously but i have seen alot of the machines that race around here in that class and i dont think many people around here know how to build a motor. lol. but there are a few cheetahs up here that are pretty darn fast. i just think it would b fun to try the 400cc class just to see how bad i get smoked!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Dec 26 2008, 06:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=22700I'd like to see that...:0
He doesnt have the 250 anymore but he has the lt500 w/ some mods, Once I put my 310 kit wasnt even a race 300ft and 600ft, Now he doesnt even ride it anymore it just sits in his garage... He keeps talkin about stroking it and doin a big bore kit.....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Dec 26 2008, 10:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=22721My point was I'd like to see a bone stock ATC 250R whip a bone stock quadzilla...

LOL... I have done it Im not saying that the 250R shlda whooped em but I did. It cld have been the rider???? Or his 500?? my buddys stock ds 650 whooped him too....

·
Registered
208 Posts
i have had great reliabilty with both of my modded 250 qracers.i would suggest to go through the bottom end and repleace every bearing with minor wear.alot of qracers have seen better days and were more of a beater quad than the better MX suited honda.many have had long long hours on engine components that should have bveen replaced years ago and are often overlooked.
rudy kurtz cuts a sweet 1-5 qracer overide..
my bud joe (mghty3whlr) on e2s..has a stroked 250 guzzling methanol...he never has many issues with his either..he runs the kurtz tranny and loves it..its a fast lil drag bike...

·
Registered
59 Posts
before I did the blaster I raced a suzuki 250 for years and still trail ride it. Do something different than everyone else and built up your LT. Get ahold of Dr.Q at here, he's the man with the LT's. He build some sick 270 motors and I'm pretty sure he does a 350 motor too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.