ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't know how much effort RDZ has put into their oof pipes but Matt Shearer spent almost 2 years developing a pipe specifically for your motor. Matt claims 4 to 7 more hp depending on the motor. I thought that seemed high until I dyno tested his new oof sb pipe vs. other pipes. His pipe consistently makes around 5 hp more than other quality pipes. I even tried it on 2 different motors with the same result.

I am personally running Matt's pipes on my 472cc 4 mil cheetah. Matt did all of his testing on his own 4 mil when he developed the pipes.

This is an easy decision. Get the Shearer's. Give Matt a call for all the details.

Mailman

·
Registered
337 Posts
They are sb oof. The correct label would be "medium bore" if there was such a thing. I think most of your pipe builders would agree that the other sb pipes are too small and hold in too much heat and the bb pipes are too big and don't hold enough pressure for the mid sized (4 mil motors).

I am starting to sound like the baby bear, moma bear, and papa bear story.

As you may have guessed, the "moma bear" is just right.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
not to throw another choice in here but if not the rdz pipes, then i would say a nice set of BB cpi pipes would do mighty fine with ur bike

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
From what I was told. Matt made the pipes for A&S and RDZ a few years ago and then they found someone to make them cheaper or whatever and they are stamped copys of the older handconed shearers. The new shearer pipes are supposed to be a slight improvement over his old design. So I would think they would work very well but shearers newer ones would maybe be a touch better.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
From what I was told. Matt made the pipes for A&S and RDZ a few years ago and then they found someone to make them cheaper or whatever and they are stamped copys of the older handconed shearers. The new shearer pipes are supposed to be a slight improvement over his old design. So I would think they would work very well but shearers newer ones would maybe be a touch better.

That is the same story I got as well.

Matt himself told me his current big bore pipes were spec'd for a 535cc Cheetah.

I run BB on my 10 mil cub, and a few have told me for 300 feet the new SB shearers would be a better pipe. I don't want to fork out a several hundo to find out...

I would get a raw set if I were you and have them chromed on your own.

·
Registered
534 Posts
... the one that best matches your porting configuration ... period.

AGREED!! and it is as much of an art as it is a science. There is no right or wrong answer, and no one pipe that will always be better than the other every time. It depends on porting, domes, fuel, carb size, ignition curve, length of run, application (uphill or flat). Then one set of the same pipes may work better on one engine than another, because they are not all exactly the same even if they are built on the same day. And after all that........ it will change again depending on elevation, humidity, barometric pressure, and temperature. Here is one thing I have never understood; most guys will spend big $ on different tires to tune their chassis to a particular track, but are unwilling to do the same with their pipes. And nowdays a set of pipes is cheaper than a set of tires!!

·
Registered
1,003,688 Posts
i run grand river racing oof sb pipes on my 4 mil F.A.S.T. cub , i know jeff at f.a.s.t. likes the shears for his portwork . but i bought my pipes from bigboybanshee, which was runnin a 4 mil f.a.s.t. cub at the time.

i would like to see how the grr pipes fare to the shears, ive heard the rdz and shears pipes are close to each other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.