ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

The start of a new job

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  morse250r 
#1 ·
Wanna know what $600 in paint looks like? Some of it- will be a long(er) term supply like the clear and HOK ultra-mini flake....but still the clear base, primer, base, and reducer will largely be used up on this job. If you want a quality job- be ready to pay for it. Period. Material costs have nearly doubled in the past two years and if you want steak dont expect to get it at hamburger prices anymore.

I need to take a second and thank my paint pimp for always taking the time to help me out when I have questions about stuff. b370 some of you guys know- well the dood is nothing short of a genius when it comes to paint...without his help- Id still be using buzz bomb paint....

So with that- Im getting ready to shoot my own duner. Ive been painting for about 7 years now- all in addition to building motor- guys want cases and cylinders and covers shot- so for the most part Ive obliged that. Typically its just base/clear systems and rather straightforward to shoot and work with. I havent ventured too much into candy land- yet. I just purchased a new gun to help. I have been using a Devilbiss Finishline gun. Its a decent entry-level HVLP gun and the nice thing about is it uses a liner bag- so you dont waste as much paint. However its a fullsize gun and would be a bit weildy for what Im going to be working on. So I got a Iwata LPH-50 to do spot work and shoot color on stuff like frames, smaller parts etc. I'll still use the Finishline for the most part to shoot clear.

On my duner I plan to shoot a tangerine candy on the frame with a charcoal metallic as a accent color for other parts(brackets, cases, cylinders, etc)....Then shoot the tank and rad cover with a white and graphics to dress it up some.

Here's the sequence of what Im shooting on the frame:
step
1- 2 coats primer (DP50LF)
2- 2 coats silver (DMD650 + 1689)
3- 2-3 coats of clear base(DBC500) with flake(HOK ultra mini rainbow)
4- 2 coats of clear (DC3000) then wetsand to knock down the texture from the flake
5- 2 coats clear (DC3000)
6- 3 coats of candy (DBC500 w/ DMX220 tint)
7- 3 coats of clear (DC3000)

Step 4 I may try shooting 4 coats of clear to omit doing step 5 altogether- but Im going to have to wait and see how the flake lays down.

I need to tear down the scooter yet and get the frame blasted. Then spend the time to get the frame all prepped up and nice. Cut off the extra crap, blend and smooth stuff as needed. Fill open unused holes, stuff like that. I'll try to get pix taken and posted of that.

See less See more
#7 ·
Sometimes when I start doing graphics- I take a picture of what Im going to paint. Then I mark up a copy of the picture with the layout using the kids' colored pencils. Here's an example:

This is just a rough idea. It helps visualize what you want to do and maybe find some issues. In this case it did. I need to work the angles of the orange and charcoal portion a little more to match the angle of the rad shroud. Sometimes you cant really lay on a good background color with a B&W print- but at least you can lay on your colors and shapes and see how it all integrates together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.