ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those guys with the mini desert traks. I bought a set for my play bike not comp cut on 8x10 rims. these are on a kfx700. I cannot make them hook.

I used to see tons of guys running these on ds650's and 450r's a couple of years ago so I bought them for playing around with. I have no complaints climbing or sliding but they do not hook at all for me. I thought it might be my bikes weight but its not that much heavier then a stock ds.

the motors basically stock with boondockers and I am not spraying out of the hole. I don't get it what type of tire pressure are you guys running ? I went from as high as ten to as low as 5 no difference. is there any other tricks like prowedges to get them to work.

·
Registered
550 Posts
5 psi is a good pressure for a play bike. Like when you slide and goof off. When you want to hit the spray though, you might want to consider dropping the pressure to 2-3 psi (based on rider weight and preference). You can go even lower if you so choose to. You are only going in a straight line, you should not be worried about breaking a bead.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mainly dirt but i do sand every couple of months. was hoping they would be dual purpose.

do the comps hook that much harder with less paddle? I know there a lot lighter. my clutch is engaging at 4500 may need to try dropping that some.

·
Registered
80 Posts
QUOTE (okatvrider @ Apr 30 2009, 09:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=40616i have a set and im going to Burn them to nothing for the next bonfire...hahaha...

Those are my old tires......

They are more intended for duning and playing. I was running them on a 10x10 rim. STU tires do better when they are wide and flat.

However, comp cutting it will give you about 1/8" more paddle. I ruined mine trying to learn how to comp cut and I also worked them into a debo cut.

They duned awesome and they were a great tire to follow because they didn't throw buckets of sand. But as far as drag racing..... they did worse than a V paddle.... and pretty much suck as a sand drag tire.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a set on my ds (around 70hp) and run them on a worked dirt track, I love them, they hook like something stupid, at 5 psi. But they are the comp cuts. At 5psi, I am on the bar for about 75' or so of a 160' track. But our track is pretty much clay, and pretty tacky, so the track hooks hard even on knobby's. The tires I have belong to jwraptor, had them on his 843 and they sucked in the sand. If the dirt is as fine as sand and dry, I would imagine they wouldn't do very good.

As far as you clutch goes, I'm leaving the line with the tach around 9K so I don't think that would be it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man, they are insane on dirt thats why i got them. i was just hoping they would be ok for sand riding too but i guess not. I am going to try airing them way down next time and if that doesn't work looks like im in the market for some tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's the same thing just grooved. I am told they are a lot lighter when cut as they remove a good bit of the casing.

in stock uncut form they seem similiar to prowedges but I have not ran anything else on this bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.