ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
A couple bucks a qt over $8-15 it's thinner and makes slightly more HP, it's made for clutches and gears in high load, temp conditions.... it's just fine. Store brand $2.50 qt Type "F" for me too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have trouble with this type of wear on our asphalt bike gears. Not always the same gear sets. Each tranny has been cryo treated and I've tried different weights of Gearsaver. Anybody else seen this or have a suggestion? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (94sheeMAN @ Nov 21 2008, 05:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=16983well i got ahold of him and he suggested atf dextron 3 or higher or mercron 4 or higher. heres a question.... why use ATF instead of an atv tranny oil?

The clutching system in an ATV is identical to the clutching in an automatic transmission in an automobile. It is this reason that you can run ATF successfully.

I try to stay away from ATF when I can. In my experience it creates more heat on the clutches, makes them slip more, and significantly increases "creep" when staging. I now use Motul and it has eliminated creeping and my clutches last longer.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
QUOTE (Koolguyson @ Nov 22 2008, 04:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17084In my experience it creates more heat on the clutches, makes them slip more, and significantly increases "creep" when staging. I now use Motul and it has eliminated creeping and my clutches last longer.
I have had similar issues with this happening myself but only after I hot lapped the bike at the dunes over and over and didnt let it cool down.or holding it in too long at the line waiting for a flagger,put new clutches in it dont do the above and have not had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
QUOTE (phatboyz @ Nov 22 2008, 03:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=17091I have had similar issues with this happening myself but only after I hot lapped the bike at the dunes over and over and didnt let it cool down.or holding it in too long at the line waiting for a flagger,put new clutches in it dont do the above and have not had a problem since.

If you have warped clutch plates it will cause your bike to creep. It will also make it difficult to find neutral as well. On the bigger motors I have had new clutches wouldn't solve the problem. The only thing that fixed the issue was oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.