ATV Drag Racer Forums banner

What NOT to send to a customer

6K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  phatboyz 
#1 ·
I'm not mentioning any names, I just wanted to post this for any folks that are interested in getting into paint work. Do NOT send something like this to a customer, it isn't acceptable by any means! I have painted better with krylon fusion, lol. I got my money back, but it was still a HUGE disappointment to pay for a "custom paintjob" and open the box to see this...wet sanding and buffing the paint before it left the shop could have fixed the majority of it. Take the time to do the job right, before it goes out

See less See more
#5 ·
i can see them,,,and ya dude unless i know them or their work personally..its hard to turst any jo blow that SAYS they can paint because plastic or fiberglass is another ballgame that not alot of people can get right if they havent delt with alot of it. There are alot of imperfections in the fiberglass peices that need prepped before paint believe it or not..that sucks travis you had to go through the process..but at least you got your money back.

#7 ·
You are absolutely right, Shannon.

If anyone is wanting to get into painting, make sure you know what you're dealing with, and the proper methods of painting before you get into a "business" aspect of it.

The only reason I posted this is because when I contacted the painter, he didn't understand why I was so upset. He apparently thought they looked good when he sent them out. He was good about making it right, which is why I didn't want to mention names...he did the honorable thing. But the real problem was he thought this kind of work is acceptable as a custom paintjob...

#9 ·
That was a bummer travis, but you dealt with it the right way . And the painter did the right thing also.
I was worried from the start when I need the painter was doin ur fiberglass. I new it had to be perfect for.
And it was far from it.
But u did the right thing and didn't jump his azz.. U did it the right way.
That's one reason I respect..
Turned out bad azz the 2nd time !!!

#10 ·
wet sanding and painters worst nightmares are runs in the clear because its pretty much too late then and they would have to take it all the way back down..LONG PROCESS .So some painters dont spray ENOUGH clear on to vear from the fear ,which will cause the orange peel as well.

#15 ·
Its interesting in dealing with different places on perspective....chromers, polishers, painters- all have differing ideas of whats acceptable...there certainly is a period of time of breaking them into what is acceptable or not. Chromer seem to be the worst- well its chrome right...well its not shiny enough...all this flash and this and that- no good....oh....this isnt some industrial coating on a wash room faucet....I guess homeslice who shot your paint thought it was a bulldozer or something- because that would work on some Ag equipment!!!!

#19 ·
QUOTE (Backcountry @ Dec 16 2008, 02:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=20927If you do it right- you typically dont need to come back and wetsand big flat stuff like plastic. Gun setting and how you mix up and cure your clear is where its at.
thats exactly right! if it isnt cured all the way before they add another coat or clear your gonna have problems.Usually stems from people rushing to get it done and the clear is alot of it people are afraid to spray too much so they end up getting it thin and thats what it will look like,Ive had 2 sets painted by a buddy and never had to wetsand plastic,dont know many who do.

#20 ·
QUOTE (phatboyz @ Dec 16 2008, 07:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=21005thats exactly right! if it isnt cured all the way before they add another coat or clear your gonna have problems.Usually stems from people rushing to get it done and the clear is alot of it people are afraid to spray too much so they end up getting it thin and thats what it will look like,Ive had 2 sets painted by a buddy and never had to wetsand plastic,dont know many who do.

if you wait for the clear to be completely cured between coats..the clear is going to look awful,it will model up really bad and not dry properly.

what you are looking for is the flash off time..paint,and clear has to be done in appropriate timing,usually 3-5 minutes between coat depending on your coverage,and if it is a kandy,pearl or metallic.

What happened on Travis's front end is just a big dry spot in the clear,alot of people are afraid to open that fan up,and the turn the feed up also..and that is what you end up with.

#22 ·
After seeing a few machines with Andre's work from Excess Paint, I was ruined. There is nobody in this business that can compete with that man's paint, the amount of detail is mind numbing. When it was time to have my laydown body done, the only questions were how long and how much, who was getting the job was decided a long time before I had the machine. Every single person that has seen my laydown body in person is awestruck, the paint scheme looks so real it's scary. And even though it didn't matter what he charged because I wanted the best, the cost was actually less than I expected.

Sorry to hear your didn't go well but I'm glad he made it right. Next time you want something airbrushed, call Andre at Excess Paint, you won't be disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.