ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I just got a wheelie bar for the yfz. I havent even bolted it on yet, but I am gonna be using it this weekend, I got some suggestions from the builder on how high to start with the wheel from the ground, and I know alot of you guys have run them, just looking for some more opinions. I am sure I will have to adjust it to the track conditions also. Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
From my experience a Dr. Pepper can will not work it has to be a beer can. Bud Light works the best IMO but the beast or some other brand would do the trick if you can't come up with BL.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HaHa, I am definitly sure there is some Bud light cans around here, might have to chug one down first though!!!

My next question, what am I looking for, for adjustment, too much wheelie, not enough wheelie, tire spin, etc. I dont mean too sound to dumb, but its the first wheelie bar I have had. So I have never messed with one, let alone knowing what I need to look for, for adjusting!!!! Thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
767 Posts
How long is the bar compared to your wheelbase? If the wheelie bar length from the center of the carrier to the center of the wheel is shorter than the wheelbase of your machine, it wont work as good. But all you can really do it just try it out and go from there. There are a lot of variables involved with track racing and wheelie bars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Set the wheelie bar tire to the height of a soda can. If the front end bounces down the track, lower the tire 1/2" at a time until it stops. If the track has a lot of deep ruts at the starting line, you may have to raise the wheelie bar tire so it doesn't lift the rear tires but then you might have problems with the front end bouncing. You want the front end to lift enough that weight transfers to the rear tires but not lift so much that it builds momentum and causes bouncing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I will give it a try guys. I hope it works, Sounds like what you guys are saying is that it should be longer than the wheelbase, I know it's not, the builder said he likes to build them 75% of what the wheel base is?? I actually tried setting it up tonight for the first time, and no matter how I adjusted it, the top bar was too long, the wheel would just sit on the ground and it was still to long. So I had to do some cutting and re-welding, to be able to get it to sit on the BL can, not something I wanted to do, since I paid for it to fit!! But I need it for this sunday!!! Thanks for all the great advice guys....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try to get some tonight, before I put it in the trailer. I wanted to get it powder coated before I took any, cause I was told it would bolt right up, good thing I tried it first. Cause I had to do some cutting and re-welding on it.... Should have a bunch of pics from the track tomorrow also, HOPEFULLY!!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well got to try out the wheelie bar today, It was pretty awsome to be able to just sit there and pin it, seemed to work ok, until I snapped on of the clevis's on the upper bar. I think I might have adjusted it to high and it was hitting hard, I ended up running a 4.83 on all motor and a 4.56 on a 20 shot of NOS, hopefully my bud gets me the pics from today, so I can get them posted!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (phatboyz @ May 18 2009, 04:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=43270ditto..as do I

I may have to try this, at first it felt like the tires would give loose, just like it fell into neutral or something, then all of a sudden hook up, so I raised the wheel, it seemed to get a little better, but it was rocking back hard, and finally broke one of the clevis rod ends!!!! I'm sure its just a matter of playing with it and finding the sweet spot!!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
if the bar that its threaded into is still thin it will do it again around the welds...not that the welder cant weld but because the molly on the bar is too thin.You might need to rebrace there.Seen it happen. The second example your talking about sounds like whats called pogo-ing..To much to the tires at once maybe try scooting up on the seat and leaving the bar the same heighth

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.