ATV Drag Racer Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do guys spend as much as $150 on a clutch kit??

I have tried carbon fibers and the kevlar kits in my 20mm DM 710cc motor and my racing is 1/8 & 1/4 mile asphalt drags.

I have been using cork based fiber plates. Stock Banshee or R6 fibers.

They are cheaper. They work great.

The oil I'm using in the transmission is Type F. 2 qts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
QUOTE (Planet Asphalt @ Aug 3 2008, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7319Why do guys spend as much as $150 on a clutch kit??

I have tried carbon fibers and the kevlar kits in my 20mm DM 710cc motor and my racing is 1/8 & 1/4 mile asphalt drags.

I have been using cork based fiber plates. Stock Banshee or R6 fibers.

They are cheaper. They work great.

The oil I'm using in the transmission is Type F. 2 qts.
i have also wondered why guys buy the kits as well. all they are is someone has gotten the FZR1000 or R6 plates and tossed them togethewr and called it a "kit"

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Here's the reason why....IMO.

If you start out by a 70 to 80 HP drag/duner motor...you're not quite ready for a lockup yet...but if you get a cheapo clutch, it'll fry (actually, the clutches are usually good, they just need HD springs.)

Once you get into lockup mode...you can get by with the stockers again...
I'm running a Raptor 660 OEM clutch in mine.

Although I will say, the FAST clutch I had was bullet proof. 3 1/2 seasons on it....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (dajogejr @ Aug 4 2008, 04:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7362Here's the reason why....IMO.

If you start out by a 70 to 80 HP drag/duner motor...you're not quite ready for a lockup yet...but if you get a cheapo clutch, it'll fry (actually, the clutches are usually good, they just need HD springs.)

Once you get into lockup mode...you can get by with the stockers again...
I'm running a Raptor 660 OEM clutch in mine.

Although I will say, the FAST clutch I had was bullet proof. 3 1/2 seasons on it....
I have no problems with the clutch kits I get for $54.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Especially when you buy a motor from what you think is a respected member of a site and it's [censored]>>ed up, that's always good and swell

And surely you're kiddin on rico workin on his bike...he can't even change his gearing without asking a question

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had a buddy get some spark plugs the other day and the guy asked him what he was usin 'em for, told him alky, so he pulled 'em out of the box, hit 'em against the counter and said "good to go" LOL.

Back to the clutches, I'm tempted to try the tusk kit from RM, same one i used on the stocker bike, next time i need new clutches and see how they do with the lockout. Granted i gotta figure out this damn adjustment bs

·
Registered
208 Posts
QUOTE (okbeast @ Aug 5 2008, 09:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=7492Back to the clutches, I'm tempted to try the tusk kit from RM, same one i used on the stocker bike, next time i need new clutches and see how they do with the lockout. Granted i gotta figure out this damn adjustment bs

i had one of those fast clutch kits in my duneport and ran it for a season
and a half. it still looked fairly new but i do believe that was due to having
a lockout on it which did not slip at all.
sorry to take the thread off on a tangent but for everyone that is using
a lockout, are you all using light springs or heavy? reason for asking
is i had an individual recommend i use the heavy then he turned right
around and sold me light springs.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I ran my FAST clutch with a direct drive lockup (standard weights) with all 6HD springs.
I ran my FAST clutch with my slingshot with 3HD, 3 stock...

I run it now with an OEM Raptor clutch with 6HD springs, but they are 3 barnett, 3 other brand HD springs (they're thicker and taller than stock, but not as stiff as the Barnetts).

I also use my slingshot with both ball bearings in each groove...
Hope that helps.

Spring pressure controls lower to mid RPM hook, lockup pressure controls mid to peak RPM...
Tune your springs and lockup in by your 60 foot times. That is of course, once you experiment with gearing, paddles, air pressure, etc...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
i have used the tusk clutches they are great over time they will break apart tho. the r-6 clutches are excellent as well if your steels are ok then your set. springs you have to play with them a bit i love diggin trenches. hook up city. i dont run bars and i dont track race much at all if ever. i have had the r6 clutch explode also as well seems they break apart before they wear out. i think every year to year and a half they should be replaced now i ride every sunday! drag race at least a full tank of gas a weekend so my actual time may vary from others. we frequent the dunes about 7-8 times a year also. i put a lot of time on my bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts